Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trouble visualizing two data sources together.

I've got 2 seemingly straightforward data sources.  The first is a list of the hours our HR department said our workers were clocked in.  The second is a list of the hours our workers reported working.  

Wont Play Well With Others 1.png

Wont Play Well With Others 2.png

I'm trying to keep track of the discrepancies to encourage our workers to report their time more accuately.  More accurate reporting gives us better data, etc.  Whenever I use either data source separately in power BI they display correctly, as one would expect.

Wont Play Well With Others 3.png

Wont Play Well With Others 4.png

But whenever I try to use both these data sources in a single visualization one or the other data source displays incorrectly.  If I understand the large number spike, it appears Power BI is displaying all the hours for one of the sources without regard to who worked them or what day.

Wont Play Well With Others 5.png

Can anyone explain how I could combine both of these data sources into a single visualization to compare how many hours each worker reported working to how many hours HR said each worker was clocked in?  I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Method 1:

You could easily merge the two tables based on Date and Worker and create a single table with below columns. And then you could create the visual you want.

Date, Worker, Hr_reported_hrs, Emp_reported_hrs

Method 2:

Create a key column in the tables combining worker and date 

Custom = Text.From([Worker])&Text.From([Date]).

Cap11.PNG

Define a relationship between the tables based on custom columns ( hopefully it will be a 1 to 1 relationship) and create the visual you need.

cap12.PNG

If this helps, mark it as a solution.

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Method 1:

You could easily merge the two tables based on Date and Worker and create a single table with below columns. And then you could create the visual you want.

Date, Worker, Hr_reported_hrs, Emp_reported_hrs

Method 2:

Create a key column in the tables combining worker and date 

Custom = Text.From([Worker])&Text.From([Date]).

Cap11.PNG

Define a relationship between the tables based on custom columns ( hopefully it will be a 1 to 1 relationship) and create the visual you need.

cap12.PNG

If this helps, mark it as a solution.

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.