Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jude_moore
Helper II
Helper II

Trouble getting a simple grand total of a Measure

Prod_chart.png

Hello Power BI experts

I am trying to retreive the SUM of the column highlighted in red that should equate to 52.36.

It's easily done in something like Excel.

The issue I am facing is that you can only use the DAX function SUM on a real coloumn and not on a measure like Productivity. My Productivity measure is :

Productivity = iferror ( SUM([Quantity]) /  SUM(vSubmissionFull[AllocatedTime]) * 420 , blank() )

Using SUMX instead only seemed to bypass all the filters so also tried ALLSELECTED with no avail. Thanks in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft 

I got it myself in the end, but with your help.

You were close with the combination of the SUMX and VALUES function. The ALLSELECTED provided the filtered subset of vSubmissionFull that was being imposed on the matrix to get the correct result of 52.36, shown in Grey.

Answer is:

Productivity Total = CALCULATE(SUMX(VALUES(vSubmissionFull[Week Name]),[Productivity]),ALLSELECTED(vSubmissionFull))

Prod_chart5.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jude_moore,

Create a measure using the DAX below and drag it to Matrix visual, then check if it returns your expected result.

Measure = IF(COUNTROWS(VALUES(vSubmissionFull[DateColumn]))=1, [Productivity],SUMX(VALUES(vSubmissionFull[DateColumn]),[Productivity]))

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia

My Prodcutivity Totay is still being split by Week Name (Text - Reason I used Text was the graph didnt auto format to months / years )

Productivity Total = IF(COUNTROWS(VALUES(vSubmissionFull[Week Name]))=1, [Productivity],SUMX(VALUES(vSubmissionFull[Week Name]),[Productivity]))

Prod_chart2.png

@jude_moore,

Create another measure using DAX below.

Measure  = CALCULATE([Productivity Total], ALL(vSubmissionFull))
1.JPG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lynda

I tried what you mentioned and if it helps, ive attached the raw data used for this, if it helps !! thanks so far.

prod Grand Total= CALCULATE([Productivity Total], ALL(vSubmissionFull))

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p4jhod7fmuvwdt/Datafile.xls?dl=0

Prod_chart4.png

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft 

I got it myself in the end, but with your help.

You were close with the combination of the SUMX and VALUES function. The ALLSELECTED provided the filtered subset of vSubmissionFull that was being imposed on the matrix to get the correct result of 52.36, shown in Grey.

Answer is:

Productivity Total = CALCULATE(SUMX(VALUES(vSubmissionFull[Week Name]),[Productivity]),ALLSELECTED(vSubmissionFull))

Prod_chart5.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Check out this design pattern:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

It deals with a similar issue of summarizing and doing aggregations on measures.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I forgot to mention that I am using DirectQuery with my SSAS and Powerbi on-premis report server so I have some restrictions.

WIll check out that forum

thanks by the way

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.