Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pingu
Regular Visitor

Trouble calculating cost for kits

I have some kits that include several pieces like this:

image.png

Then I have a table with orders. I buy the pieces in kits but I can sell them individually, thus in my orders I find only pieces like this:

image.png

So in order to know the cost of my orders I need to take the max Qty of any piece for each kit, since in order to deliver the order I need to use than many kits (despite I have some pieces left that are not ordered I count the whole kit cost since the kit is not complete anymore).

Let's see an example. For the O1 and O2 the cost would be:

image.pngin the case of O1, since I need 3 P1.2 I would need to use 3 kits K1 in order to be able to deliver the order. Same situation for K2 where I'd need 5 whole kits K2. So the cost would be: O1= 3*K1 + 5*K2= 3*$10+5*$20= $130

In the case of O2, the cost would be: O2= 5*K1+2*K2= 5*$10+2*$20= $90

But if we consider the whole sells O1+O2 together then we can reuse the leftover parts when combining the orders:image.png

So the cost in this case would be: O1+O2= 5*K1+7*K2= 5*$10+7*$20= $190

I'm stuck with this cost measure, I don't know how can I get the max nr of pieces for each kit

any tip???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

It depends a little on how you want to display you data. This measure will give you the price for a single order, if there is only 1 order in the current context. For instance if you have a table visual with order-ids and this measure, it will show the total price for each order. 

But if you have a table without order-id, and select two orders from a slicer, it will show you the price based on summing the number of pieces, and using the max values for calculating the price of the two orders. Ok, I know this is a rubbish explanation, so I have added a demo report at the end, so you can check it out for yourself.

Price combined orders =
VAR _pieces =
    GROUPBY (
        GROUPBY (
            Orders;
            orders[Piece];
            vKits[Kit];
            "numberOfPieces"; SUMX ( CURRENTGROUP (); Orders[QTY] )
        );
        vKits[Kit];
        "maxNumberOfPieces"; MAXX ( CURRENTGROUP (); [numberOfPieces] )
    )
VAR _price =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( _pieces; "auxPrice"; LOOKUPVALUE ( vKits[Price]; vKits[Kit]; [Kit] ) )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _price; [maxNumberOfPieces] * [auxPrice] )

demo

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

It depends a little on how you want to display you data. This measure will give you the price for a single order, if there is only 1 order in the current context. For instance if you have a table visual with order-ids and this measure, it will show the total price for each order. 

But if you have a table without order-id, and select two orders from a slicer, it will show you the price based on summing the number of pieces, and using the max values for calculating the price of the two orders. Ok, I know this is a rubbish explanation, so I have added a demo report at the end, so you can check it out for yourself.

Price combined orders =
VAR _pieces =
    GROUPBY (
        GROUPBY (
            Orders;
            orders[Piece];
            vKits[Kit];
            "numberOfPieces"; SUMX ( CURRENTGROUP (); Orders[QTY] )
        );
        vKits[Kit];
        "maxNumberOfPieces"; MAXX ( CURRENTGROUP (); [numberOfPieces] )
    )
VAR _price =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( _pieces; "auxPrice"; LOOKUPVALUE ( vKits[Price]; vKits[Kit]; [Kit] ) )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _price; [maxNumberOfPieces] * [auxPrice] )

demo

Thanks Sturlaws!

this is exactly what I was trying to achieve.

Awesome help and thanks for your time and demo.

regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.