Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trouble Connecting with Google Analytics

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to Power BI - I want to connect to Google Analytics, but when i click on the its button in the recommended apps section, power BI goes seems to freeze in a "loading" state.  Any ideas to connect to Google Analytics?   Could it be related to an upgrade requirement? (I believe i have power bi pro).

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to connect on my desktop via Get Data > More > Google Analytics.  (i had previously been trying to access from the web.  Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

connecting to GA does not require a pro license. You do not need an upgrade either for this connection.  In your desktop you should simply be able to go to Get Data -> More -> Google Analytics.  Are you able to connect to other sources without any issues (excel for example)? If your Power BI freezes up in general, then yes you should update to the most recent version and try again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow up question to on Google Analytics:

I'm trying to pull total impressions into Power BI.   I connecto to Power BI and then select all boxes that have impressions.  "Adwords" impression is the only folder where the preview shows data coming in correctly.  The rest of the impression data that can be selected (Adsense, DoubleClick Bid Manager, Double Click Search, etc) all give a message of "Data Source Error  - can only be queried under certain conditions." 

The total impressions that i can view in Power Bi are way lower than the total impressions stated on our Google Analytics page.  Is there a way to bring all Impression data into Power Bi?  Would i need Analytics 360 to do so?

Thanks, 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the connector pulls all the data initially (that includes your fields) I believe there is data sampling that is occuring. In my scenario, I do add a date range as part of my data prep and load process but that is likely occuring after the full pull has happened (someone else can chime in if they know the details on it).  This would explain the difference in impressions when looking at it in Power BI and in GA even if you have the same date range selected. With a minimal date range and filters in GA, it is likely doing very little or no sampling. 

Analytics 360 provides full data set but is also very expensive.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to connect on my desktop via Get Data > More > Google Analytics.  (i had previously been trying to access from the web.  Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Awesome! Be sure to mark my response as a solution if it helped solved your issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.