Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bmyton
Regular Visitor

Trend from History Table v2.0

Good afternoon Community,

In 2017 @v-chuncz-msft provided this solution to creating a history table:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Trend-from-History-Table/m-p/200304/highlight/true#M88115

Today I need help expanding that solution to support one additional column in the source data.

Table Structure:

Customer ID (int) | Subscribed From (date) | Subscribed Until (date) | Subscription Type (string)

I would like the resulting table to include a column for each distinct Subscription Type. I could achieve this by duplicating that portion of the ADDCOLUMNS argument manually for each Subscription Type, but I would prefer to have a dynamic solution.

I imagine this is a place where I would need the DISTINCT function, but I can't quite figure that out.

Table =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    CALENDARAUTO (),
    EachDistinctServiceType, CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table1[Customer ID] ),
        FILTER (
            Table1,
            Table1[Subscribed From] <= [Date]
                && (
                    Table1[Subscribed Until] > [Date]
                        || ISBLANK ( Table1[Subscribed Until] )
&& Table1[Service Type] = "EachDistinctServiceType ) ) ) )

The resulting table should look like this:

Date

ServiceTypeAServiceTypeBServiceTypeC...
1/1/202150300100...
1/2/202175200250...
1/3/2021100100210...
1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You're nearly there.  You can use VALUES() to get the service type values, or DISTINCT(), or SUMMARIZE() etc - many ways to do it.

However,  you need to keep in mind how visual elements are calculated.  There are separate calculations for the individual cells, the row and column totals, and the grand total.  Write your measure accordingly and you can have any number of service types processed automatically.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.