Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Benj

Trend Lines

Is it possible to add trendlines to a scatter graph, like you can in Excel.

One example would be adding a linear trendline and being able to see the equation to get correlation coefficients.

Another example would just be to add a linear/exponential etc. trendline to a time series graph, giving the ability to project forward in time.

Thanks

Benj

32 REPLIES 32

Anyone NOT having trend lines options show after the update for all type expected?

Note says " data in the following charts: line, scatter, bubble, column, area, and combo charts" and I have in scatter. But for a column or line chart no "Trend Line" as expected from the release notes and video.

Column chart options below.

Capture.PNG

@DouglasAPlummer Looks like it is also dependent on what field you are using in your x-axis. If you look closely in the video in the two examples, one is using time, the other a numeric value. I just tested this out and it didn't show up as a formatting option till I used one of those. (or, not a text field). Put another way, it needs an x-axis that it can actually draw a trend on.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

The trend line option still does not appear for me...

Instead of using month names on the x-axis, I´m using numerical values as was suggested in this thread. Furthermore, the type is set to continuous - but still having no luck!! 

Any ideas?

It is the Clustered Column Chart that has it, not the Stacked. And for Line Chart and Clustered Column Chart, make sure that your X-Axis is set to "Continuous" and not "Categorical"

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

thank (again). Being able to do when categorical would be nice but this is a step in the right direction.

@Seth_C_Bauer is absolutely right!

even your standard YYYY-MM is unfortunately but understandably not recognized

You have to start with a Date Column and then just keep Year and Month.

Month Numbers only - work though.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

So anyone who needs weekly trends is out of luck?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@KHorseman Not necessarily, it may just require additonal filtering to limit the time frame. The apparent functionality would just require it to be a numeric value.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer hmmm. I guess I'll have to play with it a bit more. Currently I have a custom date table that includes a "Week" column, which is the last date (Saturday) of the week for each date. That column is in Date format.  I have a week index column, but the executive team here is not going to have any idea what that means. They want to see dates.

@KHorseman I guess I don't understand... I thought you were referencing text values. Are you having an issue using the dates? I haven't had any issues with any type of date, or columns like you reference as long as it is in date or numeric format.

@Seth_C_BauerI just realized I was using the wrong column. [Week] is a text column because they wanted this week to literally read "This Week" instead of the date. I should be using a different column called [Week Of] which is the date-formatted column I thought I was using. Oops.

Incidentally, since I got that working I can confirm a couple of other things about trend lines:

1) table relationships aren't necessary. My x-axis is on a disconnected date table, not using standard time intelligence

2) measure complexity does not seem to impact trendline performance. I just added it to a chart with a Lovecraftian horror of a measure involving a double-nested CALCULATE inside a nasty triple-nested SUMX and two contradictory USERELASTIONSHIPs. The trend line popped up instantly. So it's obviously calculating on the result table only (like the thing you get when you hit See Data or Export to CVS). Which is nice.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.