Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

boldwake
Frequent Visitor

Treemap Visual Color differentiation is really hit and miss

All,

I am not asking about color saturation...I am asking about the default colors used for each box that heps the user see them as separate data points.

I am encountering an issue with the treemap visual where PowerBI is picking good colors for differentiating initially and then it is doing a terrible job followed by picking good colors again. 

I have inserted a 2 screenshots to better describe the issue

1. I am using a json color theme that has a good range of colors--I've clicked on the formatting pane so you can see that it is not due to the theme's colors choices

2. I have not picked any custom colors for any of the data in this visual--they are all on default.  I have even delted the page and re-created it and the same color issues happen

3. If you look closely at the picture I have labeled 3 section

Section 1: the largest section with good color differentiation

Section 2: 2nd largest section with terrible color differentiaiton--basically it is all orange

Section 3: smallest section with good color differentiation again.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and I have tried switching color themes but had limited improvements Treemap bad coloring.gif

Treemap bad coloring v2.gif

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @boldwake

Could I ask the question why you want to show down to such a level of detail with the TreeMap visual?

I have found in my experience that typically people are more interested in the top or bottom values, which then would make the TreeMap visual work as expected. I find that when there is that level of details, people do not typically go down to that level.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Each box in that treemap is a brand that we sell and not in the picture is brand search function, so it is really easy to look at the top brands as they are the big boxes but also easy to search for the smaller ones and not have to adjust the visual

Hi @boldwake,

From your screenshot, I note that you have same color(Orange) for different categories category  , manually set different colors for each Treemap category  under Data colors.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia, 

I'm trying to avoid that.   While i can pick the colors myself the point of the quersion is more that when everything is set to "DEFAULT", I don't know why it is defaults to SOOOO much orange rather than just repeating the color variations over and over again so that there is a lot more color variation rather than orange. 

If i manually pick them then (A) it difficult to change color themes at a later date and (B) it would take FOREVER

Blake

Hi @boldwake,

You are able to change color theme at a later date with JSON filte.

In addition, would you mind sharing me sample data of your table so that I can reproduce?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.