Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jcastr02
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Transposing Data

Hello I need assistance to help transpose data.  I have team member names with their respective dates that they cross trained into another Line of business.  I am trying to transpose data in BI but having some difficulty.  It requires the rows to sort of repeat with the team member name and hire date.  see screen shottranspose.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dethompson97
Resolver III
Resolver III

I am new to this so I don't know if this is the best way, but what I did was replace all of the null values in the data with a date that couldn't exist.  Then all columns had a value.  When unpivot after this, the table has the correct structure.  I then replaced the bad date value with null.

Below are screen shots: 

1.png2.png

3.png

I hope this helps!

Dawn

PS:  If this solution works, please mark it as a solution, to help others. Kudos are nice too.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dethompson97
Resolver III
Resolver III

I am new to this so I don't know if this is the best way, but what I did was replace all of the null values in the data with a date that couldn't exist.  Then all columns had a value.  When unpivot after this, the table has the correct structure.  I then replaced the bad date value with null.

Below are screen shots: 

1.png2.png

3.png

I hope this helps!

Dawn

PS:  If this solution works, please mark it as a solution, to help others. Kudos are nice too.

Thanks , this worked!

Wonderful!  Thanks for letting me know!

Dawn

Hi @jcastr02 ,

Changed row headings. And of course I enter 1 person to show proof of concept.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel
transpose1.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@jcastr02 ,

Go to Power Query, Transform tab, Select first two columns, go to Unpivot Columns, and select Unpivot Other Columns.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel
transpose.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.