Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Transpose table titles from columns to rows

Hello ,

I need to transpose a power BI table , please see the example below :

change title position from this :

Title1    ; Title 2   ; Title 3   ; Title 4 

Value1   ; Value1   ; Value1   ; Value1

Value2   ; Value2   ;Value2    ; Value 2

To :

Title 1 ; Value1 ; Value2

Title 2 ; Value1 ; Value2

Title 3 ; Value1 ; Value2

Title 4 ; Value1 ; Value2

I have checked in power BI without success , please let me know if there is any solution to this .

Thanks in advance 

Ismail

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

In Query Editor,

1. Go to Transform -> select option 'Use Header as first row'. So, for your example you will have 3 rows now ,with  Title1..Title4 as first row

2. Then select Transpose. This will get you desired output with 3 columns & 4 rows. Name the column header as needed.

Thanks

Raj

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jmelcarek
Regular Visitor

It needs to be done in the query model.  Go to Edit Queries -> Transform -> Transpose

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

In Query Editor,

1. Go to Transform -> select option 'Use Header as first row'. So, for your example you will have 3 rows now ,with  Title1..Title4 as first row

2. Then select Transpose. This will get you desired output with 3 columns & 4 rows. Name the column header as needed.

Thanks

Raj

This solution doesn't make sense. The person just wants to transpose the visualization. Transposing the rows/columns in the editor will change the structure of the data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jmelcarek ,

Thanks for the reply , unfortunatey I did not get the correct result , is there any power query that we can use to resolve this issue ?

Thanks in advance 

Ismail

correct, it does work with tables, only with sheets prior to promoting headers.  With table inputs, use this trick formula just prior to transposing step:

= Table.Combine({ #table(Table.ColumnNames(Source),{Table.ColumnNames(Source)}),Source})

it creates a first row of your data set with the column names .  There might very well be another way, but transpose functionality is geared to the rows of the table not including column names

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.