Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bbuchmeyer
Frequent Visitor

Transpose and Remove Columns Across Multiple Tables

Hi there!

Lets say I have a data set, in which I have grouped together by Project Name.

Image1.png

Within each project, I have a table containing several dates I want to compare against each other to measure cycle time.

Image2.png

My goal is to delete columns, "project name, BU", then transpose the data, then lastly add computational columns. I can do this on an individual table no problem, but if I wanted to do this to 8 tables at once, and only bring the computational column to the group view, it becomes troublesome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @bbuchmeyer,

>>Say delete columns, transpose, then like 7 more steps. I have tried to use open parenthese and the "&" symbol to do several steps in one but no luck.

It is possible, you need to use previous steps formula as source of next step and use '_' to replace datasource of first step.

Sample: below bold part need to be apply to all grouped tables.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Vc7LDcAgDAPQXXJGyg9SdkHsv0ZJW1r3Fj2B7TFIqZCysokeeYrQLJtbcl+nATeOzQ7c75AOIfZmS+RHYGPflQEM2QYM2fVh/wbWfN2QLTlgoP8rMQQqr4HzBA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Date", type date}}, "en-GB"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type with Locale", {"ID"}, {{"Contents", each _, type table}}),
    #"1" = #"Grouped Rows"{[ID=1]}[Contents],
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"1",{"ID"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Index", 1, 1)
in
    #"Added Index"

Transformed query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Vc7LDcAgDAPQXXJGyg9SdkHsv0ZJW1r3Fj2B7TFIqZCysokeeYrQLJtbcl+nATeOzQ7c75AOIfZmS+RHYGPflQEM2QYM2fVh/wbWfN2QLTlgoP8rMQQqr4HzBA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Date", type date}}, "en-GB"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type with Locale", {"ID"}, {{"Contents", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.RemoveColumns(_,{"ID"}), "Index", 1, 1), type table}})

in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Hope above helps.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @bbuchmeyer,

>> I can do this on an individual table no problem, but if I wanted to do this to 8 tables at once, and only bring the computational column to the group view, it becomes troublesome.

For your requirement, you need to customize grouping function to nested with other functions.(bold part)

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Work Item Id"}, {{"Contents", each  _, type table}})

Sample: add index for all group tables at same time.

48.gif

BTW, if you confuse to coding formula, you can share some sample data for test.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks! Completely makes sense, but what if it is multiple applications at once?

Say delete columns, transpose, then like 7 more steps. I have tried to use open parenthese and the "&" symbol to do several steps in one but no luck.

Ideas?

HI @bbuchmeyer,

>>Say delete columns, transpose, then like 7 more steps. I have tried to use open parenthese and the "&" symbol to do several steps in one but no luck.

It is possible, you need to use previous steps formula as source of next step and use '_' to replace datasource of first step.

Sample: below bold part need to be apply to all grouped tables.

let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type with Locale", {"ID"}, {{"Contents", each _, type table}}),
    #"1" = #"Grouped Rows"{[ID=1]}[Contents],
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"1",{"ID"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Index", 1, 1)
in
    #"Added Index"

Transformed query:

let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type with Locale", {"ID"}, {{"Contents", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.RemoveColumns(_,{"ID"}), "Index", 1, 1), type table}})

in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Hope above helps.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.