Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Translation of month names (Analysis Services model)

Hello Community,

In my Analysis Services model, I have a Dates table with a Day Date column in format D-M-YYYY HH:MI:SS as the primary dates column. 

ThomasEnshore_0-1598863667400.png

From this column, I created several other date columns such as Year, Quarter, Month Number and Month Name. I do this in Visual Studio, via Power Query Editor --> Duplicate column Day Date --> Transform. For Month Name, I also did this:

ThomasEnshore_1-1598863874233.png

This is generating month names in my system language (Dutch). At first I thought this was a cool feature as Microsoft is recognizing my Windows language and I assumed this would be translated back to the system language of a user with English (or any other) system language. However, every user now sees Dutch month names in the reports, regardless of their system language and location in the world. The same is happening for weekday names.

Can anyone tell me how this works? Should this not be automatically translated as this is all within the Microsoft family?

I also haven't found a way to change it to English in Visual Studio, it is always generating Dutch names. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

If change both global and current file regional setting does not work. The workaround can be a month measure since you cannot create a column under Live connection mode.

Month = SWITCH(MONTH(MAX([Date])),
1,"Jan",
2,"Feb",
3,"Mar",
12,"Dec") ​

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Upon re-opening Visual Studio --> Query Editor on my Dates table, I see the names are now in English! 

This was because of using the Locale method from link https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/05/25/working-with-international-date-and-number-formats-in-power-...

In the code, I see the following: 

#\"Changed Type with Locale\" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#\"Changed Type4\", {{\"Month Name\", type text}}, \"en-GB\")",

However, after deployment and refresh of the AS table, I still see Dutch names in my PBI. Do you have any idea?

Thomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the links you provided under 'Regional settings' did not lead to a solution. As mentioned, other users in for example the USA are also seeing Dutch month names whilst their regional settings are different than mine. 

I got my hopes up with this link: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/05/25/working-with-international-date-and-number-formats-in-power-...

I changed the type of the column and selected 'Using Locale'--> selected English, but nothing happens after that. I updated the table and even processed it into VS, but still the month names are in Dutch.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.