Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Translated value calculation with currency rate on separate table

Hi

I would like to calculate the closing balance translated reporting currency (ZAR in this case) from the base currencies using a DAX measure.  My current attempt wont work. 

My Fact table has a column with the currencyID and the currency rates are stored on a separate dimension table. So there is a relationship between the Fact table and the Dimension table.

I believe my code is wrong ito getting the rate and applying it to the base movement values. I am also not sure if and how to apply the RELATED function if needed.
The intended logic is:
(cumulative base value raised less basevalue allocations/"receipts") * currency rate of selected reportingperiod

My current attempt to calculate the closing balance at each selected reporting period date:

Debtors Close ZAR:=
VAR BaseValueRaisedEntries =
CALCULATE(SUMX('FactClaimsRIPaid',
('FactClaimsRIPaid'[OpenMarketFacClaimsPaid]+'FactClaimsRIPaid'[OpenMarketFacClaimsPaidVAT])
* MAX( 'DIM_CurrencyRates'[Rate] )),
FILTER('DIM_AccountingPeriod', 'DIM_AccountingPeriod'[ReportingDateEnd] <= MAX('DIM_AccountingPeriod'[ReportingDateEnd]) ) )

VAR BaseValueAllocationsEntries =
CALCULATE(SUMX('FactRIClaimsRecovered',('FactRIClaimsRecovered'[OpenMarketFacClaimRecoveryAmount]+'FactRIClaimsRecovered'[OpenMarketFacClaimRecoveryAmount])
* MAX( 'DIM_CurrencyRates'[Rate] )),
FILTER('DIM_AccountingPeriod','DIM_AccountingPeriod'[ReportingDateEnd] <= MAX('DIM_AccountingPeriod'[ReportingDateEnd]) ) )

RETURN RaisedEntries-AllocationsEntries

you have helped me before where I had the currency rate in the fact table

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @Anonymous ;

Sorry i don't have access,

vyalanwumsft_0-1632813084510.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I reshared. Please can you check it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

I have re-shared with you.

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

Is your problem solved?? If so, Would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirement will find the solution quickly and benefit here. Thank you.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

Can you share simple files after removing sensitive information? And the desired output result for better understanding?

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

this was the measure that worked where the currency rate was stored on the fact table

Measure =
CALCULATE(
SUM( 'SSAS V_FactPremiumCombined'[GrossDebtors_MovementInclVAT] )
* MAX( 'SSAS V_FactPremiumCombined'[ClosingCurrencyRate] ),
FILTER(
'SSAS V_FactPremiumCombined',
'SSAS V_FactPremiumCombined'[Month] <= MAX('SSAS V_DIM_Date'[Date])
)
)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k 
@CMarsh 

what was the final DAX pattern to get the right rate for each selected month in your posting in the link below?
My issue above is similar.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Translate-foreign-currency-transactions-based...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.