Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rajendraongole1
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Translate other languages column data into english?

Hi All,

I have one of the column with data representing information with other languages. need to convert that column level data into a standard english. 

Is there any possibility to translate other language data into english for column level?

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Rajendra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

HI @rajendraongole1 

You could call the Google Translate API to make the translation.  By creating a custom column and then using Web.Contents to pass the Chinese text to Google Translate, it will return the English translation.

https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/reference/rest

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Here you find tool for reports (.pbix) translation - Power Translate! Very clear and easy to use, moreover the tool has been verified by MS AppSource.

Power Translate — an indispensable tool that will help you translate display elements (such as titles, headers, name of measures) placed in the Power BI created reports.

Here you can find also video with instruction - AppSource - Power Translate.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

HI @rajendraongole1 

You could call the Google Translate API to make the translation.  By creating a custom column and then using Web.Contents to pass the Chinese text to Google Translate, it will return the English translation.

https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/reference/rest

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @rajendraongole1,

if you know the foreign values inside the column in advance, you can create a lookup table.

If you don't know the foreign values in advance that you can consider leveraging text analytics features from the cognitive services:

Tutorial: Use Cognitive Services in Power BI (Preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

You have to be aware that this can become somewhat costly.

Hopefully, this provides some new ideas. If you need more help with the lookup table, please provide a pbix that contains sample data but still reflects your data model. Upload the pbix to onedrive or dropbox and share the link if you use an Excel file to create the sample data and share the link.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi Tom,

Below is the snapshot , as we are getting one of the column with mix of english and chinese data. But we want to get the data in one language (English).  Please suggest if there is any process to get the comment column with single language?(i.e. , english)

Translate.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.