Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

efilipe
Helper IV
Helper IV

Transform to negative numbers

Hi all!

I have, on my Excel file, earnings and expenses. Both are positive numbers.

I want to import both information to Power BI, but I want to transform expenses only, to negative numbers, so I can make proper calculations. I know I can create custumo calculations, but I think it would be better to transform the numbers to negative.

Is it possible?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you expenses are in their own column, just choose Standard | Multiply from the Number Column area of the Transform ribbon and enter -1. Here is the M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtY31zcyMDRX0lEyNVCK1QGJWMBEDA2AQrEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Multiplied Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Value", each _ * -1, type number}})
in
    #"Multiplied Column"

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@efilipe

You can add a conditional column and then delete the original one.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\ Transform to negative numbers.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"data", type date}, {"tipo", type text}, {"destino", type text}, {"meio", type text}, {"conta", type text}, {"valor", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "valor_updated", each if [tipo] = "Saída" then -[valor] else [valor] ),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column",{{"valor_updated", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"valor"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"valor_updated", "valor"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Transform to negative numbers_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Write a negative in your formula for a new column

For example

create a new column
in the formula bar write:
negative expenses = - expenses

aussiegreens

hi im trying to show a positive data feed as a negaive line in a  mortgage graph that already has a negative feeds

=(Calcs!$T$46:$Y$46,Calcs!$AA$46:$AF$46,Calcs!$AJ$46:$AO$46,Calcs!$AQ$46:$AV$46,Calcs!$AZ$46:$BE$46,Calcs!$BG$46:$BL$46,Calcs!$BP$46:$BU$46,Calcs!$BW$46:$CB$46,Calcs!$CF$46:$CK$46,Calcs!$CM$46:$CR$46,Calcs!$CV$46:$DA$46,Calcs!$DC$46:$DH$46,Calcs!$DL$46:$DQ$46,Calcs!$DS$46:$DX$46,Calcs!$EB$46:$EG$46,Calcs!$EI$46:$EN$46,Calcs!$ER$46:$EW$46,Calcs!$EY$46:$FD$46,Calcs!$FH$46:$FM$46,Calcs!$FO$46:$FT$46)

i have tried *-1 and adding a minus to the front but i just get formula error messages

Jawed
Helper III
Helper III

Is it not a lot easier to quickly change that in the excel prior to importing them? Or have a colum in the excel table to convert them for you so you can have both columns in case you need to use it?

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@efilipe

You can add a conditional column and then delete the original one.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\ Transform to negative numbers.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"data", type date}, {"tipo", type text}, {"destino", type text}, {"meio", type text}, {"conta", type text}, {"valor", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "valor_updated", each if [tipo] = "Saída" then -[valor] else [valor] ),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column",{{"valor_updated", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"valor"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"valor_updated", "valor"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Transform to negative numbers_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hey guys! I want to thank you both for spending some time helping me out. v-haibl-msft your solution worked great! Thank you!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my query is similar so I am hoping you can help me! 

I have a spreadsheet with 2 tabs:

- Cost

- Revenue 

The cost tab has negative values (costs) and positive values (credits). The negative numbers (costs) are much higher so the SUM total is generally negative. I want to display the total (costs and credits) per product however because all but 3 end up being a negative number they don't display in my pie chart (only where SUM is positive do they show in the visualisaion). I hope this makes sense, please let me know if not or if you need anymore info.

Going on from this I will create a formula revenue-cost to calculate profit, so I think for this reason as well the Costs total needs to be positive? 

efilipe
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi! To explain better 🙂

I'm importing data from Excel. Entrada means Income and Saída,expense. On Excel, we're working only with positive numbers. I want to transform this data when imported to PowerBI.

So, your solution would work great, but i need an IF statement to just make that negative change if the column "tipo" = to "Saída". 🙂

Thank you for you help! 🙂

excel.png

efilipe
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi, no... It's in a column that has positive and negatives. I have another column that says if it's a income or expenses. Can I reference the other column so it makes the multiplication by -1 or not?

Thank you!

@efilipethis worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the answer!

These forums are great.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you expenses are in their own column, just choose Standard | Multiply from the Number Column area of the Transform ribbon and enter -1. Here is the M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtY31zcyMDRX0lEyNVCK1QGJWMBEDA2AQrEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Multiplied Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Value", each _ * -1, type number}})
in
    #"Multiplied Column"

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.