Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

efilipe
Helper IV
Helper IV

Transform to negative numbers

Hi all!

I have, on my Excel file, earnings and expenses. Both are positive numbers.

I want to import both information to Power BI, but I want to transform expenses only, to negative numbers, so I can make proper calculations. I know I can create custumo calculations, but I think it would be better to transform the numbers to negative.

Is it possible?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you expenses are in their own column, just choose Standard | Multiply from the Number Column area of the Transform ribbon and enter -1. Here is the M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtY31zcyMDRX0lEyNVCK1QGJWMBEDA2AQrEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Multiplied Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Value", each _ * -1, type number}})
in
    #"Multiplied Column"

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@efilipe

You can add a conditional column and then delete the original one.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\ Transform to negative numbers.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"data", type date}, {"tipo", type text}, {"destino", type text}, {"meio", type text}, {"conta", type text}, {"valor", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "valor_updated", each if [tipo] = "Saída" then -[valor] else [valor] ),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column",{{"valor_updated", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"valor"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"valor_updated", "valor"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Transform to negative numbers_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Write a negative in your formula for a new column

For example

create a new column
in the formula bar write:
negative expenses = - expenses

aussiegreens

hi im trying to show a positive data feed as a negaive line in a  mortgage graph that already has a negative feeds

=(Calcs!$T$46:$Y$46,Calcs!$AA$46:$AF$46,Calcs!$AJ$46:$AO$46,Calcs!$AQ$46:$AV$46,Calcs!$AZ$46:$BE$46,Calcs!$BG$46:$BL$46,Calcs!$BP$46:$BU$46,Calcs!$BW$46:$CB$46,Calcs!$CF$46:$CK$46,Calcs!$CM$46:$CR$46,Calcs!$CV$46:$DA$46,Calcs!$DC$46:$DH$46,Calcs!$DL$46:$DQ$46,Calcs!$DS$46:$DX$46,Calcs!$EB$46:$EG$46,Calcs!$EI$46:$EN$46,Calcs!$ER$46:$EW$46,Calcs!$EY$46:$FD$46,Calcs!$FH$46:$FM$46,Calcs!$FO$46:$FT$46)

i have tried *-1 and adding a minus to the front but i just get formula error messages

Jawed
Helper III
Helper III

Is it not a lot easier to quickly change that in the excel prior to importing them? Or have a colum in the excel table to convert them for you so you can have both columns in case you need to use it?

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@efilipe

You can add a conditional column and then delete the original one.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\ Transform to negative numbers.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"data", type date}, {"tipo", type text}, {"destino", type text}, {"meio", type text}, {"conta", type text}, {"valor", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "valor_updated", each if [tipo] = "Saída" then -[valor] else [valor] ),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column",{{"valor_updated", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"valor"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"valor_updated", "valor"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Transform to negative numbers_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hey guys! I want to thank you both for spending some time helping me out. v-haibl-msft your solution worked great! Thank you!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my query is similar so I am hoping you can help me! 

I have a spreadsheet with 2 tabs:

- Cost

- Revenue 

The cost tab has negative values (costs) and positive values (credits). The negative numbers (costs) are much higher so the SUM total is generally negative. I want to display the total (costs and credits) per product however because all but 3 end up being a negative number they don't display in my pie chart (only where SUM is positive do they show in the visualisaion). I hope this makes sense, please let me know if not or if you need anymore info.

Going on from this I will create a formula revenue-cost to calculate profit, so I think for this reason as well the Costs total needs to be positive? 

efilipe
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi! To explain better 🙂

I'm importing data from Excel. Entrada means Income and Saída,expense. On Excel, we're working only with positive numbers. I want to transform this data when imported to PowerBI.

So, your solution would work great, but i need an IF statement to just make that negative change if the column "tipo" = to "Saída". 🙂

Thank you for you help! 🙂

excel.png

efilipe
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi, no... It's in a column that has positive and negatives. I have another column that says if it's a income or expenses. Can I reference the other column so it makes the multiplication by -1 or not?

Thank you!

@efilipethis worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the answer!

These forums are great.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you expenses are in their own column, just choose Standard | Multiply from the Number Column area of the Transform ribbon and enter -1. Here is the M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtY31zcyMDRX0lEyNVCK1QGJWMBEDA2AQrEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Multiplied Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Value", each _ * -1, type number}})
in
    #"Multiplied Column"

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.