Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shep123
Helper I
Helper I

Transform Table

I am not sure if this is the appropriate title for my question but ulitmately what I want to do is take a table as such:

Survey_KeyQ1Q2Q3
A425
B335

and turn it into this:

Survey_KeyQuestionAnswer
AQ14
AQ22
AQ35
BQ13
BQ23
BQ35

The only way I can think of right now is to split the query up into multiple queries with only the Survey_Key and one question column each, create columns for the question number and answer, and append them together. I have 10 or so questions so I would like to avoid that as I imagine there has to be a more efficient way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @shep123,

In the Query Editor, do the following.

Select Survey_Key column and right-click on it.

Select Unpivot Other Columns. This should place the column headers in the newly created column Attribute and the row in Values column. 

Note: if your Q columns have null values, replace them with something else link "blankvalue" prior to unpivoting your column as the null rows get deleted with unpivoting. Once you're done unpivoting, replace "blankvalue" with null.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @shep123,

In the Query Editor, do the following.

Select Survey_Key column and right-click on it.

Select Unpivot Other Columns. This should place the column headers in the newly created column Attribute and the row in Values column. 

Note: if your Q columns have null values, replace them with something else link "blankvalue" prior to unpivoting your column as the null rows get deleted with unpivoting. Once you're done unpivoting, replace "blankvalue" with null.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.