Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NickTT
Helper II
Helper II

Transform Table as a Custom Function

I have the following two steps that I will have to repeat multiple times.  I would like to create a Custom function to do this but I can't seem to get it to work correctly.

#"Transform to Table" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Replaced Errors5", {{"MixedColumn", each if Value.Is(_, type table) then _ else #table({"Element:Text"}, {{_}})}}),
    #"Expanded MixedColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Transform to Table", "MixedColumn", {"Element:Text"}, {"MixedColumn.Element:Text"}),

For instance this is returning a list instead of a table...

= (Input as any) => 
    let
        ToTable = ({{Input, each if Value.Is(_, type table) then _ else #table({"Element:Text"}, {{_}})}})
    in
        ToTable

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Multi line text fields are not tables.  Do you want to convert their content to tables?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are these lookup fields in your sharepoint lists? Might be better to import all related tables from Sharepoint and do the lookups/links in the Power BI data model. Performance will be MUCH better that way.

They are not lookup fields. They are multi-line text fields.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What are you actually trying to achieve? Convert lists to tables?

Yep. I have a column that is returning a mix of text values and tables. Data is coming from a SharePoint list. I have to convert all data to tables first and then expand the results to read everything again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.