Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shippior
Helper II
Helper II

Transform Related columns using PowerQuery

In the current dataset I have I am encountering a problem that I can not wrap my head around.

I have a total of three datasets.

Dataset 1 has Column X containing values that are equal to Column A of Dataset 3. Dataset 2 has column Y  containing values that are equal to Colunmn B of Dataset 3. My goal is to relate Columns R,S,T in Dataset 1 and Columns P, Q, R in Dataset 2 to each other based on the information in Column A/B. However, using relationships in the Model creates a loop that does not work. How can I transform the dataset in PowerQuery such that I can plot Columns R,S,T vs Columns P, Q , R?

MWE of the datasets:

Dataset 1:

X    R S T

ab  2 3 4

xy   4 5 6

Dataset 2:

Y    P Q R

qw 4 2  2

ds  4 5  4

Dataset 3:

A   B

ab qw

xy ds

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shippior
Helper II
Helper II

I solved this by combining Query Dataset 3 with Dataset 2 and manually exchanging Column Y with column B. You could then append query dataset 1 and dataset 2 to reach a homogeneous dataset.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shippior
Helper II
Helper II

I solved this by combining Query Dataset 3 with Dataset 2 and manually exchanging Column Y with column B. You could then append query dataset 1 and dataset 2 to reach a homogeneous dataset.

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shippior ,

Like this?

v-lionel-msft_0-1602660063772.png

v-lionel-msft_1-1602660078148.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Shippior , Not very clear.

But merge dataset 3 and 1 (A- X) and then merge with 2 (Y- B)

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.