Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Transform, Manipulate, Append Table Vertically

Hello All,

I recently saw yesterday's post from Fernando Elecno ( Transform Table Vertically ). I wanted to see if the following was possible using a similar approach using the unpivot function or PowerQuery feature. I have tried to manipulate it, however, I am running into issues. Logically, I want to do this

My Current Table:

PersonID

LampDemand

ChairDemand

TableDemand

LampEstimate

ChairEstimate

TableEstimate

My Desired Output/Requirement:

Example:

PersonID

Item/Type

Demand

Estimate

Lamp

Chair

Table

Lamp

Chair

Table

Lamp

Chair

Table

I want to not only transform the table vector vertically, however, I also want to manipulate and append the table structure. Relates the 3 items to the respective categories. For instance, list/group by Lamp, Chair, and Table as identifiers so that I can relate them to their "Demand" and "Estimate" values. I am wondering if PowerQuery is even the right approach or should I research to try and tackle this with R/Python.

Thank you very much in advance for any any notes, tips, and suggestions.

Best,

Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

yes, that's a thing for Power Query.

First you unpivot others (than the first column).

Then Split the Attribute-column to separate the item types from the value type, before

Pivoting back the value types.

Please paste the following code into the advanced editor and follow the steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwMFDSUTIyARKGRkDCDJlhrBSrA1ZjCFIDUmgIIkyB2AKIQZqMYEpAegzNkGQgskBBpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PersonID = _t, LampDemand = _t, ChairDemand = _t, TableDemand = _t, LampEstimate = _t, ChairEstimate = _t, TableEstimate = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PersonID", Int64.Type}, {"LampDemand", Int64.Type}, {"ChairDemand", Int64.Type}, {"TableDemand", Int64.Type}, {"LampEstimate", Int64.Type}, {"ChairEstimate", Int64.Type}, {"TableEstimate", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"PersonID"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Character Transition" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"a".."z"}, {"A".."Z"}), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Split Column by Character Transition", List.Distinct(#"Split Column by Character Transition"[Attribute.2]), "Attribute.2", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

yes, that's a thing for Power Query.

First you unpivot others (than the first column).

Then Split the Attribute-column to separate the item types from the value type, before

Pivoting back the value types.

Please paste the following code into the advanced editor and follow the steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwMFDSUTIyARKGRkDCDJlhrBSrA1ZjCFIDUmgIIkyB2AKIQZqMYEpAegzNkGQgskBBpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PersonID = _t, LampDemand = _t, ChairDemand = _t, TableDemand = _t, LampEstimate = _t, ChairEstimate = _t, TableEstimate = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PersonID", Int64.Type}, {"LampDemand", Int64.Type}, {"ChairDemand", Int64.Type}, {"TableDemand", Int64.Type}, {"LampEstimate", Int64.Type}, {"ChairEstimate", Int64.Type}, {"TableEstimate", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"PersonID"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Character Transition" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"a".."z"}, {"A".."Z"}), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Split Column by Character Transition", List.Distinct(#"Split Column by Character Transition"[Attribute.2]), "Attribute.2", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ImkeF 

Thank you so much!! This worked, I took a look at the steps as well as the code. Very helpful. I will continue to sharpen my M code knowledge!

All the best and thank you again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.