Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sethigurpreer
Frequent Visitor

Transform Data Problem

Hi All,

Good Morning.

I am working on a parking dataset where I have a column which has values like:

2P DIS M-SUN 0:00-7:30

4P DIS ONLY M-SUN

P/15 M-SUN 0:00-23:59- No Park

P/15 M-SUN 0:00-23:59 - No Park

I want to break this information like

Col1   Col2          Col3    Col4              Col5

2P      DIS            M-SUN 0:00-7:30

4P      DIS ONLY              0:00-23:50

P/15                     M-SUN 0:00-23:59   No Park 

P/15                     M-SUN 0:00-23:59   No Park

I am working on this method where first gran location of all spaces in between the text and then try to read individual records. Problem is this is returing data in LIST format (when I click on this LIST it shows data in a different table). Question is how can I use this List output (like an array) in power query or any other approach to break this data.

Regards

Gurpreet Sethi

6 REPLIES 6
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Not sure what your problem is:

Does the list contain broken pieces of your original table already (like shown below) or does it contain positions separators (list of number only)? Or is this one list only?

Please post picture or share your code that we can work from there.

PBI_SplitList.png

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi ImkeF,

Well my data is stored like this

Capture.JPG

and i want to transform it to something like this

Capture.JPG

Hope I am able to explain myself.

Regards

Gurpreet Sethi

Sorry I posted on the wrong issue and I can't delete the post - please ignore

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Strange that it comes in one column. Have you played around with the delimters and encoding?

However, this would be the code to split according to your example:

et
    Quelle = Csv.Document(File.Contents("D:\BI\Foren\CSVTest.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Encoding=1252]),
    PromoteHeaderOptional = Table.PromoteHeaders(Quelle),
    MergeDisOnly = Table.ReplaceValue(PromoteHeaderOptional,"DIS ONLY","DIS_ONLY",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    RemoveNoPark = Table.ReplaceValue(MergeDisOnly,"- No Park","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    SplitColumn = Table.SplitColumn(RemoveNoPark,"Column1",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv),{"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3", "Column1.4", "Column1.5", "Column1.6"}),
    Column4 = Table.AddColumn(SplitColumn, "Column4", each if Text.Start([Column1.4],2)="0:" then [Column1.4] else if Text.Start([Column1.3],2)="0:" then [Column1.3] else ""),
    Column3 = Table.AddColumn(Column4, "Column3", each if Character.ToNumber(Text.Start([Column1.3],1))>58 then [Column1.3] else [Column1.2]),
    Column2 = Table.AddColumn(Column3, "Column2", each if Character.ToNumber(Text.Start([Column1.3],1))>58 then [Column1.2] else ""),
    CleanUp = Table.SelectColumns(Column2,{"Column1.1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4"})
in
    CleanUp

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

What is your datasource?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi MrJolly,

My data source is a csv file. This column stores Parking Signs data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.