Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Transfer pbix file offline

Dear community,

i'm currently using Power BI Desktop. I would like to share my evaluations with a friend of mine. He's also using Power BI Desktop.

We both have not signed in for a 365 account and we won't see our evaluations on Microsoft server, so we tried to copy the pbix file, later the whole folder with the sources (excel file) but the result is always disapointing . We can't reopen the fpbix file on his PC. It always states, that the saved database couln't been restored. 

Is there any known way to share your dashboards and table with fellows without uploading to the cloud?

BR

Thorben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vasim07
Helper I
Helper I

Ok, So on your friends machine. Open Power BI Desktop application - Edit Queries. This will open the Query Editor window.

On Ribbon - click View - Advanced Editor. This will opent eh Advanced Editor window.

This should look something like

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("path\of\the\excelfile.xlsx", null, true)

Change the "path\of\the\excelfile.xlsx" to the proper location. The file path on both machine would be different.

In case, you want the filepath to remain same for all user in your network, insert the filepath along with the network address/IP address of the file. Your IT department may be of help here.

IP path would look something like

\\192.168.1.0\powerbi\myfolder\Excelfile.xlsx

Regards,

Vasim Shaikh

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Qulandar

Hi, is it possible to transfer and view pbix file using Mobile app?

thanks

@Qulandar, the mobile apps can only consume dashboards and reports hosted in the Power BI web service.

vasim07
Helper I
Helper I

Ok, So on your friends machine. Open Power BI Desktop application - Edit Queries. This will open the Query Editor window.

On Ribbon - click View - Advanced Editor. This will opent eh Advanced Editor window.

This should look something like

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("path\of\the\excelfile.xlsx", null, true)

Change the "path\of\the\excelfile.xlsx" to the proper location. The file path on both machine would be different.

In case, you want the filepath to remain same for all user in your network, insert the filepath along with the network address/IP address of the file. Your IT department may be of help here.

IP path would look something like

\\192.168.1.0\powerbi\myfolder\Excelfile.xlsx

Regards,

Vasim Shaikh

Its work for me. Amazing with thanks

Thank you. 

I had to take further steps  in order to source file address get fixed.

After changing the address again I went through query settings pane , clicked on  source and manually changed the addresses for all excel sheets I had there.

I am running two different versions of  Power BI Desktop  on two devices.

Regards, 

Zara

Hi Vasim Shaikh,

I tried but the .pbix file created in Win 7 Power BI in my new Win10 laptop but get an error message - "We're unable to access file storage" ! Can't therefore reach the stage of Edit Queries !

Further if I try to create a new file on Win10 laptopn I get an error message "The ....file is already open in Power BI Desktop or another program" !

Stuck badly..pl help !

Thx

Inder

Hi Vasim Shaikh,

I tried but the .pbix file created in Win 7 Power BI in my new Win10 laptop but get an error message - "We're unable to access file storage" ! Can't therefore reach the stage of Edit Queries !

Further if I try to create a new file on Win10 laptopn I get an error message "The ....file is already open in Power BI Desktop or another program" !

Stuck badly..pl help !

Thx

Inder

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx smoupre to replicate my friend's issue i've installed a PowerBi on a second pc myself. Both computers running on the november release (2.29.4217.221). The error message is excactly the same. I've used a shared drive to either copy the file or the zipped folder with all references.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to just copy the PBIX file out to a folder anywhere and share. It sounds like you two are running different versions of Desktop.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.