Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AgeOfEgos
Helper I
Helper I

Tracking time over a date range--insists on doing count

I have a custom column that computes the duration/datediff of two separate dates.  It's working fine and when I put this into a standard data grid, it appears appropriately (see below).

However, when I attempt to do a line graph showing the time over a date axis--it insists on doing count.  If I try max, it appears it sums it over the date range--and gets larger.  How can I do a date axis with the duration for each date?

Time in Columns.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AgeOfEgos 

As tested, it shows correctly in this case.

If your problem still occurs, please show some screenshots with me for better analysis.

1.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I can't remove the count, it only gives me options of max/min/etc. even though the custom column is not summarized.

The custom column is figured by this formula;

Time Tracking = DATEDIFF(Sheet1[Report Final],Sheet1[Exam Complete],MINUTE) * -1

Thanks.

Count.png

Hi @AgeOfEgos 

@AgeOfEgos wrote:

I can't remove the count, it only gives me options of max/min/etc. even though the custom column is not summarized.

When you add a column in the "value" field of a line chart, it will be summarized by default.

You could create a measure as well

Measure Time Tracking = DATEDIFF(MAX(Sheet8[Report Final]),MAX(Sheet8[Exam Complete]),MINUTE) * -1

Since there are mutiple line data for a single datetime point of [Exam Complete], the Time Tracking should be sum for each datetime point of [Exam Complete].

14.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the help.

When I plug that formula in--I am only getting one result per date instead of multiple.  I think it has something to do with my date column.  See photos attached.Example.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.