Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wnicholl
Resolver II
Resolver II

Tracking Employees from Month to Month

Data Scenario

We need to track employee movement from month to month. We are starting with a baseline file (Employee ID – Dec18) that has many employees; then we have monthly files (Employee ID – Jan19), etc. with employees for that month. Some employees might be terminated, and others can be new employees. When an employee is terminated in Jan19 we should not see them in Feb19. If a new employee is hired in Feb19 we should see them. 

Monthly Files.jpg

Created -

We’ve built relationships between the files. The relationships we’ve created allows us to track terminated employees from month to month however, any new employees that are added to future months are not showing.

Relationships.jpg

We created a table in Power BI that allows us to check for any new employees added to a future month.

(New Employees = EXCEPT('Feb18_EmployeeRoster','Jan18_EmployeeRoster')

We created a table visualization and pulled the “Employee ID” from baseline, then the monthly files Jan19, and Feb19.   

Issue

When we add the “Employee ID” from the New Employees Table it does not allow us to see the newly added employees.  

If anyone can assist with a solution that allow us to track employee movement within the same visualization it would be greatly apricated!  Thank You!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wnicholl ,

Please try this:

New Employees =
EXCEPT (
    VALUES ( 'Feb18_EmployeeRoster'[EmployeeID] ),
    VALUES ( 'Jan18_EmployeeRoster'[EmployeeID] )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi Yuliana - Thanks for repling to my post! I'll try your solution and let you know how it worked out.  

wnicholl
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi Yuliana - Thank you for your help. Your solutions worked great!!  Thanks agian... 

6 REPLIES 6
wnicholl
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi Yuliana - Thank you for your help. Your solutions worked great!!  Thanks agian... 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wnicholl ,

Please try this:

New Employees =
EXCEPT (
    VALUES ( 'Feb18_EmployeeRoster'[EmployeeID] ),
    VALUES ( 'Jan18_EmployeeRoster'[EmployeeID] )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuliana

I have a similar problem listed in the query, however each month I receive a new export of employees, which I have appended and added to the bottom of my table.

Is this possible to create a measure that will incorporate this. From this I understand I would possible need a new measure for each month?

Link to my query below with source files

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Track-movement-of-employees-Attrition-and-movers/td-p/89686...

Hi Yuliana - Thanks for repling to my post! I'll try your solution and let you know how it worked out.  

Hi @wnicholl ,

Have you worked it out?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

We had some issues with our data source and subsequently required us to remove our data files. We should be receiving our new data files sometime this week. Thanks for reaching out. I'll touch base once we've tested.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.