Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

S_M
Helper III
Helper III

Trace problematic queries for report refresh ?

Hi, 

I wanted to know, is there a way i can (other than the PBI Trace) check for what queries in my report are causing the data refresh to take long, so that i can optimize accordingly ? Just some context, i have 2 models which are reading from 2 different datasets - however, they are more or less structured the same way, but Model A takes about 6-8 mins to refresh and publish, whereas Model B takes about 25mins for the same. Any help ?

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@S_M,

Which data source are you connected? As you said that "i have 2 models which are reading from 2 different datasets", those 2 datasets connect to the same data source server? You need to ensure that all other influence factor are the same when comparing two datasets' performance.

If you connect to SQL Server database, you could use SQL profiler to identify slow runing query, please refer to the link below to see the details.
https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/how-to-identify-slow-running-queries-with-sql-profiler/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi @v-caliao-msft

Sorry for not being clear around it - the 2 models are reading data my MYSQL using ODBC connectors - while the dataset is different, they are both connected using ODBC from the same MYSQL db, and are structured the same way. Model B is sized slightly larger than Model A, but not enough to account for a difference of about 15mins in refresh time (think of the 2 datasets used for Model A and Model B as being the same / alligned except the size of the data wherein one is ever so slightly larger than the other) 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.