Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

emmet
Frequent Visitor

Trace Files and Query Editor on Salesforce Objects

Hello,

I have a Power BI Desktop report with a connection to a Salesforce Object that I then publish to an online workspace. In the Query Editor, I am filtering out both columns and rows from the Object.

I have 3 questions:

1. In the trace files (I see 2 Mashup files that get generated), one includes a SQL query that appears to have incorporated the edits I made in the Query Editor. What is the other Mashup file doing? It references the Salesforce URL and appears to be loading something like metadata.

2. In the Query Editor, the entire Object is accessible. How is this the case if the entire Object isn't getting loaded into the workbook?

3. When it comes to publication, is the entire object loaded into the Power BI workbook and ultimately published as the Dataset in the workspace? Or is only the filtered Object published as the Dataset in the workspace?

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @emmet,

1. It seems that you want to have an analysis of the trace files. You could have a guide of this blog which introduce us what the trace file do and you also could analyze the files with this tool so that it will be more easier.

2. I'm not clear about your question "How is this the case if the entire Object isn't getting loaded into the workbook"? Do you mean that if you cannot load all tables from SalesForce Object in Query editor? We need to analyze it according to the specific situation.

3. When it comes to publication, only the filtered Object in query editor will be published as the Dataset in the workspace.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft (Cherry), Thank you for your responses! I have a couple followups: 1. I'm not actually interested in an analysis of query performance. Given two trace files, each access the URL hosting the table queried. However only one trace file details the SQL query itself. What data is getting pulled in the other trace file? I'm not sure how to interpret it. 2. Can you clarify how exactly the Query Editor is accessing data in the Query Editor interface? Specifically, given three Applied Steps (Source, Navigation, and Filtered Rows), the non-filtered table is accessible when selecting the Navigation Step. Is the entire table getting pulled in for viewing with the Query Editor open? If ultimately the filtered table is what gets pulled into the workbook and published as a Dataset in a Power BI workspace, how is the Desktop application accessing the broader query? Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.