Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CobbSalad
Regular Visitor

TotalYTD in a Matrix

Hi y'all,

I am having difficulty getting totalYTD to work in my matrix. I currently have sales data between 2018 to May 3rd 2021. My goal is for totalYTD to forecast for the rest of the year and then I can visually shift through the dates using a date hierarchy.

The DAX I am currently using is as follows:

Year to Date = TOTALYTD(SUM('Sales Data'[Net Sales]),'Sales Data'[Day].[Date])

I issue might be because all my data is in one query rather than seperate queries?

Any help is greatly appreciated as well as any advice for doing this a different way!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @CobbSalad,

The hierarchy should be in your original table rather than the calendar table,check my sample below:(remember to create a relationship between the 2 tables)

v-kelly-msft_0-1623650572007.pngv-kelly-msft_1-1623650582291.pngv-kelly-msft_2-1623650590374.pngv-kelly-msft_3-1623650597642.png

Check my .pbix file attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @CobbSalad 

I think your issue is more like using Time intelligence function without a Calendar table. if you have gaps in your 'Sales Data'[Day].[Date]  then don't count on TOTALYTD to outcome an accurate result.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Thank you for the reply!

I created the calendar table, but I am still having the same issue as before where it just repeats the last sales data from May 3rd 2021. I want to be able to drill down through a date hierarchy. In the dax code what would that look like as I am unsure of how to link it to a hierarchy within the calendar table. I have the calendar hierarchy broken down between 'CalendarYear' 'CalendarQuarter' 'CalendarMonth' 'CalendarDate'.

The DAX I am currently using is as follows:

Year to Date = TOTALYTD(SUM('Sales Data'[Net Sales]),'Calendar Table'[CalendarDate])

Thanks again!

Hi  @CobbSalad,

The hierarchy should be in your original table rather than the calendar table,check my sample below:(remember to create a relationship between the 2 tables)

v-kelly-msft_0-1623650572007.pngv-kelly-msft_1-1623650582291.pngv-kelly-msft_2-1623650590374.pngv-kelly-msft_3-1623650597642.png

Check my .pbix file attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.