Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sebaspot
Regular Visitor

Total % of a column relative to the count (Dynamic) (Interactive) (Treemap or Bar Chart)

Hello, 

I need some help to understand if i will be able to achive what i need based on the example here below: 
I have a large pool of data that are all in relationship with the "ID" column.

Here below the example i've created.

Excel.png

What i need to achive is a treemap that gives me in % the total of each country relative to the total count of ID. (Like this below)

Treemap.png

Today i can make measures to accomplish it but they are only values and so the widget is not interactive with all the others, it's simply static. 

Perhaps i can accept a bar chart like the one, i can make in excel like this below: 

Bar Chart.png

But as well when i make measures in Power Bi they are values and so i have no axis that can keep the widget interactive with the others.

Is there a way to solve my issue? 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sebaspot 

Delete all the existing relationships.

Goto Advanced Editor, Copy below PQ in Original2 Table

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\trave\Desktop\Trial.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"2_Sheet" = Source{[Item="2",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"2_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Italy", Int64.Type}, {"Germany", Int64.Type}, {"France", Int64.Type}, {"Spain", Int64.Type}, {"UK", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Germany", "Germany-"}, {"France", "France-"}, {"Italy", "Italy-"}, {"Spain", "Spain-"}, {"UK", "UK-"}, {"ID", "NewID"}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Renamed Columns", {"NewID"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", each ([Value] = 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

now enable the relationship

Capture.JPG

Create new DAX measure

Measure = divide(COUNTROWS(Original2),COUNTROWS(ALL(Original2))) 

Use this measure in the bottom Tree visual's value filed.

Capture.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Sebaspot , First unpivot your data and then try a measure like this

https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

measure = divide(Sum(Table[Value]),count(Table[value])) // Value is name of column after unpivot 

Please Watch/Like/Share My webinar on Time Intelligence: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/PowerBI-Time-Intelligence-Calendar-WTD-Y...
My Youtube Tips at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPaNVDMhUXGYrm5rm6ME6rjzKGSvT9Jmy

Appreciate your Kudos.

@amitchandak 

Thank you for your reply. 

I've tried to unpivot all the other columns keeping "ID" as suggested by @nandukrishnavs but I get an error saying that the column "ID" can't have multiple same values.

If I try to unpivot all of them I get an awkward result.

I've uploaded both excel (source) and pbix file on one drive and here i share the link.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtfYRDzNj-lCh1uPAHkNZo84kVfz?e=7poJUz 

If you have a chance to take a look i've made a new sheet called "New" which i used to modify as you said but with no success. 

@Sebaspot 

Delete all the existing relationships.

Goto Advanced Editor, Copy below PQ in Original2 Table

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\trave\Desktop\Trial.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"2_Sheet" = Source{[Item="2",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"2_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Italy", Int64.Type}, {"Germany", Int64.Type}, {"France", Int64.Type}, {"Spain", Int64.Type}, {"UK", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Germany", "Germany-"}, {"France", "France-"}, {"Italy", "Italy-"}, {"Spain", "Spain-"}, {"UK", "UK-"}, {"ID", "NewID"}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Renamed Columns", {"NewID"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", each ([Value] = 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

now enable the relationship

Capture.JPG

Create new DAX measure

Use this measure in the bottom Tree visual's value filed.

Capture.JPG

Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

@nandukrishnavs 

Thank you very much for your help. 

I've read the code of the advance editor and understood that basically it was the relationship that was making the trouble. 

So by your suggestion i understood how to accomplish it and get the treemap well connected. 

The only issue i got now is that values are now totals and not % of total relative to the count of ID so basically i just need to turn the result in the correct value %. 

I've tried to understand the calculation but i guess i will find it out with time.

Do you have any suggestion? 

Thank you 

@Sebaspot 

Did you use this measure, I have updated in my previous post.

Appreciate with a kudos
🙂 

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Great!

I did it but i was missing "ALL" in the formula. 

Thank you very much for all the help! 

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@Sebaspot 

open Edit Query and select ID column, then right-click and select unpivot other columns. Then you will get Attributes and values. 

You can use these columns in visuals. Try this and share your comments 

Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

@nandukrishnavs
Thank you for your reply. 

I've tried to do that but i get an error saying that the column "ID" can't have multiple same values.

I've uploaded both excel (source) and pbix file on one drive and here i share the link.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtfYRDzNj-lCh1uPAHkNZo84kVfz?e=7poJUz 

If you have a chance to take a look i've made a new sheet called "New" which i used to modify as you said but with no success. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.