Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RGallagher320
Frequent Visitor

Total column not using formatted values

I have four columns. Let's call them Column A, B, C and D.  I am making a new column (E), that is A - (B+C+D).  I formatted ALL columns to Decimal number and 2 decimal numbers.  But for example, if A = 10.00 and B=0.00, C=10.00 and D=0.00, then 10.00-(0.00+10.00+0.00) = 0.00.  I am noticing though if I do a check on the total, it's sometimes not resulting to TRUE in my SWITCH statement. I am finding out that it's resulting in a very close to zero negative number (like -.0000000321).  So it appears that it's not using the 0.00 result in the SWITCH statement (it's using the close to zero negative number instead).  Any thoughts why it wouldn't use the two decimals if it's formatted that way? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RGallagher320 ,

You can also format the measure and the new column to Decimal number and 2 decimal numbers. When you format the column and measure, it will just change the displayed content does not change the true value of the underlying data, and the formula uses the underlying data

In your case, when you change column B and column D to Decimal number and 2 decimal numbers , the underlying value for them could be  such as 0.00123 and 0.00000001233113, and you limit them to 2 decimal numbers , so it will show like 0.00. 

Underlying data:

Capture.PNG

Result:

Capture1.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RGallagher320 ,

You can also format the measure and the new column to Decimal number and 2 decimal numbers. When you format the column and measure, it will just change the displayed content does not change the true value of the underlying data, and the formula uses the underlying data

In your case, when you change column B and column D to Decimal number and 2 decimal numbers , the underlying value for them could be  such as 0.00123 and 0.00000001233113, and you limit them to 2 decimal numbers , so it will show like 0.00. 

Underlying data:

Capture.PNG

Result:

Capture1.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

MFelix
Super User
Super User

hi @RGallagher320 ,

the decimals that you see is only visual so if you have more values on the number it will calculate accordingly. I suggest you make the use of the round when making the calculating. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RGallagher320 

Use ROUND function to your measure

ROUND(Insert your measure here,0)

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.