Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Total Sales Variation Same Period Last Year

Hello,

My data model has sales data from the last 3 years. I'm trying to build a report with two charts (image below):

• Sales variation by month. Variation related to last month. (OK)
  • Sales variation by month. Variation related to same period last year. (NOT OK)

Filters: Year (single select)

My Measures:

• Total Sales = SUMX( Sales, Sales[Total])
  • Total Sales Same Period Last Year CALCULATE([Total Sales], FILTER(ALL('Calendar'), 'Calendar'[Year]=MAX('Calendar'[Year])-1), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Data]))
  • Variation Last Year %divide([Total Sales]-[Total Sales Same Period Last Year],[Total Sales],0)

In the green chart, filtering the year, the variation is ok, because the values of last month are included in the filter.

In the red chart, filtering the year (ex: 2021), it doesn't show the variation because the sales of same period last year are not included in the filter (2020). Plus, the chart is showing 2022 months variation.

Goal: I just want to show selected year months, with the variation from same period last year.

diogo_fernandes_0-1635352522917.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

To get the both last year value with slicer, you would need to create a distinct year table as the slicer.

1. Create a new table:

Slicer table = Distinct(Calendar[Year])

2. Create the 3 measures:

Total Sales = SUMX( Sales, Sales[Total])

Total Sales Same Period Last Year =  CALCULATE([Total Sales], FILTER('Calendar',  'Calendar'[Year]=SELECTEDVALUE('Slicer table'[Year])-1),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Data]))

Variation Last Year % = divide([Total Sales]-[Total Sales Same Period Last Year],[Total Sales],0)

Best regards
Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

To get the both last year value with slicer, you would need to create a distinct year table as the slicer.

1. Create a new table:

Slicer table = Distinct(Calendar[Year])

2. Create the 3 measures:

Total Sales = SUMX( Sales, Sales[Total])

Total Sales Same Period Last Year =  CALCULATE([Total Sales], FILTER('Calendar',  'Calendar'[Year]=SELECTEDVALUE('Slicer table'[Year])-1),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Data]))

Variation Last Year % = divide([Total Sales]-[Total Sales Same Period Last Year],[Total Sales],0)

Best regards
Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @V-pazhen-msft ,

Total Sales Same Period Last Year measure is returning zero.

TotalSales SPLY = CALCULATE([TotalSales], FILTER('Calendar', 'Calendar'[Year]=SELECTEDVALUE('Slicer Table'[Year])-1),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Date]))

diogo_fernandes_1-1635847343083.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @V-pazhen-msft ,

I managed to fixed Total Sales SPLY measure this way:

TotalSales SPLY = CALCULATE([TotalSales], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Date]))

Using the Table Slicer year in the filter with single selection, now it shows the correct variation. 

Thanks for your help.
DataZoe
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous Perhaps you can try this:

Total Sales Same Period Last Year =
VAR _lastdatewithdata =
LASTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Date], [Total Sales] )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
[Total Sales],
SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR (
FILTER ( VALUES ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), 'Date'[Calendar] <= _lastdatewithdata )
)
)

Respectfully,
Zoe Douglas (DataZoe)

Follow me on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/zoedouglas-data
See my reports and blog at https://www.datazoepowerbi.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable

That worked out only for hidding next year months - when I select 2021, the 2022 months aren't shown.

However, I have the same problem with showing variation on same period last year with just one year selected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.