Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Total All Items on Transaction that include a Specified Value

I have a table below.  I want to write a dax expression to get the total of all sales that included "Alcohol" on the ticket.  Any ideas?

Annotation 2019-03-26 140620.png

I am trying to achieve the $18.50 value.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try this measure:

Measure = 
VAR __table = SUMMARIZE('Table14',[Transaction ID],"__departments",CONCATENATEX(VALUES(Table14[Department]),[Department],","),"__sum",SUM([Net Total]))
VAR __table1 = ADDCOLUMNS(__table,"__alcohol",CONTAINSSTRING([__departments],"Alcohol"))
RETURN
SUMX(FILTER(__table1,[__alcohol]),[__sum])

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kjmullen

@Greg_Deckler Apologies for reviving such an old thread, but I haven't been able to find a more recent example and this is almost exactly what I need.  Is there a way to use department as a slicer and remove the hard-coded department reference?  I've tried using SELECTEDVALUE, but that is not retuning the right values.  Ideally, I'd want the slicer to be a multi select, but I can't even get a single value to return the sum I expect.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try this measure:

Measure = 
VAR __table = SUMMARIZE('Table14',[Transaction ID],"__departments",CONCATENATEX(VALUES(Table14[Department]),[Department],","),"__sum",SUM([Net Total]))
VAR __table1 = ADDCOLUMNS(__table,"__alcohol",CONTAINSSTRING([__departments],"Alcohol"))
RETURN

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked.  Thank you!!

I am new to Power BI so I am not exactly sure what this expression is actually doing but it does seem to take a while to calculate in the visual.  My table that it is working with has about 600,000 rows.  

So, by way of explanation:

Measure =
RETURN

The first line summarizes your table by transaction id, so think of "grouping", you end up with one line per transaction id. Added to this are 2 aggregation columns. The "_departments" column concatenates all of the values in your Department column for that particular transaction. The "_sum" column sums up your Net Total column.

The next line adds a column to this table that is simply a true/false of whether the _departments column contains the word "Alcohol". Since _departments concatenates all of the values for a transaction, then if a transaction includes alcohol, this will be true.

The final line returns a summation of the __sum column for all of the rows in the summarized table where __alcohol is TRUE.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.