Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bhmiller89
Helper V
Helper V

TopN

I have a table SalesOpportunities that lists various information including "RecurringServices$," "Project$," and "Product$"

I want to calculate/show the Top 10 Sales Opportunities for 1. The highest Product$ 2. The highest RecurringServices$ and 3. The highest Project$

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi bhmiller89,

>> and I get the error "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."

I think you put this dax formula to a measure, you should use a table to receive the new table from the topn function:

Capture6.PNG

TopN function: Returns the top N rows of the specified table.

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

The order by columns of topN function seems not work, perhaps you could try to use ‘sample function’:

Capture9.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can write a DAX Query as below:

and modify further as per your needs.

EVALUATE

TOPN(

SalesOpportunities,

SalesOpportunities[Product$],

SalesOpportunities[RecurringServices$],

SalesOpportunities[Project$]

)

Hope this would solve your problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi,

I wrote

TopOpps= TOPN(10, 'Sales Opportunities', 'Sales Opportunities[Product$], DESC, 'Sales Opportunities[Project$], DESC, 'Sales Opportunities[Recurring$], DESC)

and I get the error "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."

Hi bhmiller89,

>> and I get the error "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."

I think you put this dax formula to a measure, you should use a table to receive the new table from the topn function:

Capture6.PNG

TopN function: Returns the top N rows of the specified table.

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

The order by columns of topN function seems not work, perhaps you could try to use ‘sample function’:

Capture9.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

You need to use the DAX Studio to get the query results as it is referring to the multiple columns. 

downloading is at 

https://www.sqlbi.com/tools/dax-studio/

use EVALUATE 

QUERY SYNTAX

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

TopOpps= CALCULATE([expression],TOPN(10, 'Sales Opportunities', 'Sales Opportunities[Product$], DESC, 'Sales Opportunities[Project$], DESC, 'Sales Opportunities[Recurring$], DESC)

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.