Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chrisgehm
Helper III
Helper III

TopN

Hi everyone, I'm trying to rank some values, but I can't find the TopN option in the visual level filter. Any idea because why?

Sin título.jpg

Kind regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

1) Select the Column you want to display the Top Budgets of

2) Then change the Filter Type of that Column to Top N

3) Fill in Top / Bottom number field

4) And lastly drag to the By Value filed your Budget Measure

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

EDIT: Alternatively you can do this...

1) Create a Rank Measure using your Budget Measure to Rank the Column values (same column as above)

2) Add the Rank Measure in your table

3) Then in the Visual Level Filters - select the Rank - Show items when value: - select is less than (or appropriate) and fill in number

This has the advantage of also showing you the Rank Number

Both methods will produce the same result though! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Hi @chrisgehm,

You can specify that you’d like to filter by the Top or Bottom number of categories, sorted by a specific measure. You will find the Ton N filter in the filter pane as a Filter Type option for the category field you want to filter down.

So this filter is for catefory column, not for measure column. In your scenario, please check if you can see the TOP N filter in your catefory column.
Capture.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
theov
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi there, if you want to make a dynamic Top N in slicer check this out 🙂
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2K-leEcgY8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

How did you resolve the issue at the end?

I am having the same problem. It doesn't matter if it's a numerical or text value, niether of them picks up the Top N filter.

I wonder if this is a bug of the latest update?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Natalia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't used Top N in a while but I can see it looks different in the recent upgrade to the filter tab. The functionality should be the same and if not that's a bug.

For some reason I don't recall it being necessary to add the item the second time to the filter perhaps that was already necessary as indicated in the screenshot is standard practice  The difference is the filter is now on the filter Pane rather than in the Visualization pane, assuming you've activated the new pane.

I don't have any products done in earlier releases to see if there's an issue between older products in the new release.

But as you can see in this screenshot the Top N function is working for me.top N.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

1) Select the Column you want to display the Top Budgets of

2) Then change the Filter Type of that Column to Top N

3) Fill in Top / Bottom number field

4) And lastly drag to the By Value filed your Budget Measure

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

EDIT: Alternatively you can do this...

1) Create a Rank Measure using your Budget Measure to Rank the Column values (same column as above)

2) Add the Rank Measure in your table

3) Then in the Visual Level Filters - select the Rank - Show items when value: - select is less than (or appropriate) and fill in number

This has the advantage of also showing you the Rank Number

Both methods will produce the same result though! Smiley Happy

@Sean Hi thanks for the answer, unfotunately, still can't see the option of TopN in the filter section. Any idea because why?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Did you resolve this problem?I have the same problem (I have the last version installed).

Regards,

The field which you are using for TopN should be a total or count of instances. Only then the TopN option will pop-up

Thanks,

Saad

Hi @chrisgehm,

You can specify that you’d like to filter by the Top or Bottom number of categories, sorted by a specific measure. You will find the Ton N filter in the filter pane as a Filter Type option for the category field you want to filter down.

So this filter is for catefory column, not for measure column. In your scenario, please check if you can see the TOP N filter in your catefory column.
Capture.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

I know this is a comment to a 5 year old post - but THANK YOU for the reminder that the "TOP N" visual filter is listed with the category, the grouping, and not on the measure/count/sum of the column of interest.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Top N was introduced in October - I'm sure you are running Oct or later version of PBI aren't you?

Take a look at the documentation and video here

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-october-feature-summary/preview/#topN

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.