Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TopN functionality

October update has TopN functionality but it is not upto the mark.
Like how user can drag and drop the field / measure for TopN filter.
If user clear the filter then dragged field disappear, user can not add again measure again in filter section.
Could you please help me out here.
4 REPLIES 4
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous I don't like how they implemented this also.

They have this tried-and-true product - the Excel Power Pivot Table - why don't they get any ideas from it?

Select a Field in the Pivot Table =>click on the Field Header => Value Filters => Top N...

(In fact clicking the field header also gives you so many other options we need - such as sorting at EACH level)

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15844186-pivot-tables-and-breakdown-trees

Value Filter - Top N....png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Screenshot_3.jpg

@Sean@Seth_C_Bauer - Sean I agree with you.. This is what I was asking about. If you clear the filter then "by Value" field is gone.

if user has read access then they cannot add it once again. also drag and drop is not easy for every user.

if we are giving them top N functionality then they dont want to add field again and again..

I think microsoft PBI team think about it again. I will open a support ticket and will update you.

Hi All,

I agree with you. I think it is better to use a dropdown box for the value selection in this scenario as Sean mentioned above. Could you also submit this request on Power BI Ideas? So that we can vote it up, and Power BI team will take good consideration about it and make this feature come sooner.Smiley Happy

Regards

@Anonymous Are you talking about end users in the Service?

As a report author in the Desktop you have all the functionality to add/remove the filter settings.
If you are talking about end users in the Service interacting with the report then I would consider that "by design"... I'm creating a visual on TopN based on the criteria I want the end user to use. The fact that they can interact with Filters doesn't mean I want them saving or modifying the report. If you want to do that, share via a Content Pack or give them access to the dataset to build their own.

If they removed the filter, they can navigate back to the dashboard and into the report again and it should reset to the original filter set.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.