Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

awilliams
Frequent Visitor

TopN error when trying to show ten rows in a table

Hi guys, 

Try = TOPN(10,ga1,ga1[Candidate Registrations], DESC)

May be a simple one here but im getting the following error when trying to use the TopN DAX expression to only show the first ten rows of a table: 

The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value.

The syntax highlighter is not showing up any errors, so not sure why this won't work...

Excuse the simplicity as I am new to PowerBi and DAX, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@awilliams

TOPN returns the top N rows of the specified table. So you need to create a new table.

TopN error when trying to show ten rows in a table_1.jpg

Or you can sort the column of ga1[Candidate Registrations] and then keep bottom 10 rows in Query Editor.

TopN error when trying to show ten rows in a table_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thanks for your reply @v-haibl-msft. Unfortunately I don't want to remove rows from one column. I just simply want to show only the top ten results of a table, rather than the entire results.

@awilliams

If above resolutions are not you wanted, you can try add a rank column with following formula.

Rank = RANKX( gal, gal[Candidate Registrations])

TopN error when trying to show ten rows in a table_1.jpg

Then type the top number you wanted in visual level filter.

TopN error when trying to show ten rows in a table_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, you are writing a measure, and measures must always return a single (scalar) value.  TOPN( ) returns N rows... and you have not specified what you want to "happen" to those rows.

Something like   = CALCULATE( SUM(ga1[value]), TOPN(10, ga1, ga1[Reg], DESC) )  should do... something... I think? 🙂

Maybe easier to understand a   = IF (RANKX(ga1, ga1[Reg]) <= 10, [My Measure], BLANK() ) but should do the same.

Your formula would work if you use the "Calculate Table" function to create a brand new table of just the top 10, but that probably isn't what you want.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.