Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cnschulz
Helper IV
Helper IV

Top N working differently than expected

Hi, 

There are many questions around Top N however I couldnt find one specific to my situation.

I have a table of invoices for items, each has a unit price.

ItemA 10.00
ItemA 12.00
ItemB 15.00
ItemB 16.00
ItemA 200.00
ItemC 29.99

I need to show items that have the biggest standard deviation in price by Item. I have created a table that simpley has Item and unitprice displayed as "standard deviation" and that works fine (fig A).

Fig AFig A

My next challenge os to show the Top 20 rows only so my report is not cluttered. I selected Item, visual filter, Top N then Top 20 by unit cost (standard deviation) but it shows some subset of the results that I simply dont understand. See Fig B

Fig BFig B

Any ideas what Im doing wrong? I just expoect to see 10 rows of data.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cnschulz,

I am sorry to misunderstand you, I have tested it again, you could refer to below picture:

1.PNG

2.PNG

And I think if you want to order the items by value, you need to calculate the top n based on the value you could refer to below link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-october-feature-summary/

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @cnschulz,

Based on my test, it could work on my side.

Sample data:

1.PNG

Result:

2.PNG

Could you please share your pbix file if possible?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cheers, I cant suply the pbix as is violates our compant policy...

Two things with your example:

1. You only have one occurance of each item in your sample. My example has multiple (which the SD is calculated against)

2. You are calculating top n based on the value only, whereas I need the Top N standard deviations for each item.

Cheers

Hi @cnschulz,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

Hi @cnschulz,

I am sorry to misunderstand you, I have tested it again, you could refer to below picture:

1.PNG

2.PNG

And I think if you want to order the items by value, you need to calculate the top n based on the value you could refer to below link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-october-feature-summary/

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.