Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pitucc
Helper I
Helper I

Top N filter for measure

Hi, 

I have a measure that computes DoD variation, I use this measure in a table but i would like to have only the top 10 value of this measure. Unfortunatly in the Filter option I can only filter by (is above, below, equal etc... ). 

Do you know if it's possible to have the top N filter for a measure ? 

thanks in advance,

Pierre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @pitucc,

You need add the TOPN to one of the other fields of your table based on that measure not to the measure itself. As you can see in the example below have a simple table with dates and sales in my date I have put the top 5 Total_Sales and it gives me the expected result on the sales it's only available what you describe.

This happens because the measure are used based in context so based on the context you have you only have one number for that certain context so the TOPN wihtout being related with another value don't make sense that's why you need to apply the TOPN to another column based on your measure and not on your measure itself.

TOP_N.png

Dont' mind the values they are formatted as % because of a test I was doing.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @pitucc,

You need add the TOPN to one of the other fields of your table based on that measure not to the measure itself. As you can see in the example below have a simple table with dates and sales in my date I have put the top 5 Total_Sales and it gives me the expected result on the sales it's only available what you describe.

This happens because the measure are used based in context so based on the context you have you only have one number for that certain context so the TOPN wihtout being related with another value don't make sense that's why you need to apply the TOPN to another column based on your measure and not on your measure itself.

TOP_N.png

Dont' mind the values they are formatted as % because of a test I was doing.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi. How can I get this to work in the Web Service?  Is it possible?]]

Thanks

Albin

Hi MFelix, it works perfectly many thanks ! 

Cheers,

Pierre

hi. did you get it to work in the web as well?  How?

Thanks,

Albin

On the web service it works in the same way as in the desktop version.

So only need to go to the filter and select TOP N.

regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

I wonder if you could use a measure that included a VAR of a SUMMARIZE statement to summarize the data. This summarized data would include the measure and then you could create a TOPN of that? Just a thought. Have a look at this design pattern:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

Might steer you in the right direction.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.