Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tracyhopaulson
Resolver I
Resolver I

Top N Ranking for specific year

I have a list of customers and need to rank by 2021 sales.  When using Top N function, it ranks by total sales of all years.  Is there a work around to rank sales for specific year?  Thanks

ranking.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @tracyhopaulson, you can create a rank by category through a Calculated Column that will provide you with a ranking for each Customer by their respective Total Value for each Year.  You can then simply filter out Year column to 2021 by "Fitler Type" in the Filters Pane of the visual.  Hope this helps 🙂 (FYI - I called the table "t_Rank" so you will need to adjust yours accordingly 🙂 )

TheoC_0-1633581389736.png

Also, an alternative is to use a Slicer / Filter visual with Years so that you can let the user choose the Year and show the rank accordingly 🙂

TheoC_1-1633581479078.png

Just in addition to the above, I recently put together a solution for dynamic ranking for visuals. This may be of benefit to you as well: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sort-Legend-Dynamically-By-its-Value/m-p/2112139#M782542

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @tracyhopaulson, you can create a rank by category through a Calculated Column that will provide you with a ranking for each Customer by their respective Total Value for each Year.  You can then simply filter out Year column to 2021 by "Fitler Type" in the Filters Pane of the visual.  Hope this helps 🙂 (FYI - I called the table "t_Rank" so you will need to adjust yours accordingly 🙂 )

TheoC_0-1633581389736.png

Also, an alternative is to use a Slicer / Filter visual with Years so that you can let the user choose the Year and show the rank accordingly 🙂

TheoC_1-1633581479078.png

Just in addition to the above, I recently put together a solution for dynamic ranking for visuals. This may be of benefit to you as well: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sort-Legend-Dynamically-By-its-Value/m-p/2112139#M782542

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Thank you 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tracyhopaulson , create a measure like this and create rank on that

meausre = calculate(sum(Table[sales]),Table[Year]=2021)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors