Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

Top N Filter in a Matrix

I have a matrix within which I need to show only the top n items within each category based on a sum calculated in a measure.

Just using the top-n visual level filter on the [row heading] using the [value measure] gives me top-n globally, not within the next hierarchy level up. 

I used this code and got the rank numbers to work right, but when I add any visual level filter, even one just hiding blank values, it bizarrely recalculates not just the rank column but the sums. I tried replacing ALLSELECTED with ALL, no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

I solved the issue by eliminating from the visual hierarchy levels from other dimension tables. It was creating an internal many:many relationship. I do not understand why it should matter when those levels were not being expressed, but this fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

I solved the issue by eliminating from the visual hierarchy levels from other dimension tables. It was creating an internal many:many relationship. I do not understand why it should matter when those levels were not being expressed, but this fixed the problem.

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @j_ocean 

Can you share the pbix? If necessary with dummy data but reproducing the issue

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Not really, I'd have to make a completely new PBIX just for this. Plus there doesn't seem to be an attachment function...

Here's the applicable bits of the schema though:

Dimension table:

Category A

ID Number 1 to many, one way filter direction

Fact table:

ID Number  many to 1

Category B

Value Measure (a simple sum with a filter)

Output I Need:

Category A 1

Category B 1         Measure Value      Rank 1

Category B 2         Measure Value      Rank 2

Category A 2

Category B 3         Measure Value      Rank 1

Category B 2         Measure Value      Rank 2

I'm currently trying  https://www.daxpatterns.com/ranking/  which returns the value vs ranking which I'll take for now but causes a memory overflow when trying to filter so I don't know if it's doing the same weird recalculation.

Hi @j_ocean ,

Be aware that DAX measure are based on row context so any given value from slicers, filters and so on can influence your result.

A pbix with dummy data can let us know your scenario better.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba... 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.