Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rameshwar
Frequent Visitor

Top N Filter Issues

There seems to be a problem in the filter behavior "TOP N" when the report already has other filters.

For example, I want to show the 10 players with the best performance, but had a filter for matches > 5. When you apply the "TOP 10" filter, are returned only 3 players, because the filter "TOP N" filters the original data, and not the data already filtered by the "greater than 5 matches."

I believe the expected behavior for my problem should be - the filter "TOP N" respect other filters applied. That is, the TOP N should be the last filter applied, not the first.

Thanks,

Rameshwar

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Rameshwar,

In addition, here is a similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas forum. You can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

It is all about the filter context.  One needs to build a Top N measure, rather than rely on the visual filter - and then that measure will work within the visual filter context.

I recommend a YouTube video by Sam McKay - look for Enterprise DNA N. Zealand: 

Video: Create Dynamic Visuals based on Ranking

Context sensitive ranking - this example is about customers and profit but should be applicable in your case:

Customer Rank = RANKX( ALL ( Customer ), [Total Profits], , DESC )

• - you need the ALL otherwise rank will always be #1, since rankX is an iterator

Then make measure

Top 10 = IF ( [Customer Rank] <= 10, [Total Profits], BLANK () )

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.