Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tooltip Value Showing Twice

Hello,

I'm wondering how to essentially sort a bar chart visualization by the legend. In the visualization below, I am visualizing the number of people belonging to a sub-category of an Audience; there are multiple sub-categories within an Audience Category. 

I'd like to sort the bar chart by the Audience Category, and how I'm currently achieving this is moving the Audience Category field into the tooltip option. The issue with this is that the Audience Category shows twice in the tooltip (once for legend and once for having the field included manually in the tooltip). Not including the Audience Category field in the tooltip manually would only give me the options to sort the chart by number of people or by the sub-category (alphabetically). I'm looking for a way to only show this Audience Category once in the tooltip, is this possible?

PBI_Issue_2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi  @Anonymous ,

The sorting of the default tooltip is made based on:

• Axis value
  • Legend value
  • Value
  • Tooltip fields (in the order you place them)

You cannot change this behaviour so adding the Audience Category to the tooltip part duplicated the value and does nothing to sorting.

To achieve a custom sorting you need to create a custom tooltip para that way you can sort the values of the tooltip as you need.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi  @Anonymous ,

The sorting of the default tooltip is made based on:

• Axis value
  • Legend value
  • Value
  • Tooltip fields (in the order you place them)

You cannot change this behaviour so adding the Audience Category to the tooltip part duplicated the value and does nothing to sorting.

To achieve a custom sorting you need to create a custom tooltip para that way you can sort the values of the tooltip as you need.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

luapdoniv
Resolver II
Resolver II

Not am aware off. The workaround is to create a tooltip dashboard with a table visual formatted out to resemble exactly the way the tooltip is seen, and that is possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.