Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

xhurit
Frequent Visitor

Tools for report design/planning

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here is using some kind of software to design report visually before diving into PBI and creating the report? Just for plan the layout, positioning and sizing of each visual/slicer/logos... So far I've been doing sketches on paper but maybe there is more efficient way for that.

Let me know what is you approach on that!

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @xhurit 

There are many prototype designing tools or apps you can try. For example:

Sketch — The digital design toolkit

Marvel - The design platform for digital products.

InVision | Digital product design, workflow & collaboration

Mockplus - Design, Prototype & Collaborate better and faster

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
vaibhav_etw

Hey @xhurit !!
I realize I am a little bit late to the party, but I only recently discovered Mokkup.ai, which is a useful tool for creating dashboard wireframe mockups. With its simple user interface, you can easily drag and drop components to produce aesthetically attractive dashboard wireframes.
As there is no live data involved, we can easily iterate and customize it to fit our brand identity.

dbuchter
Advocate II
Advocate II

I don't come across many UX/UI designers around the Power BI forums, but speaking as one, I can say that I commonly create wireframes and prototypes before working with developers on building PBI Reports (we call Power BI reports "dashboards"). I work for a pretty large enterprise with UX and design teams scattered throughout the organization, but I am the entire UX team for sales, finance and analytics. I have a work process that provides that initial prototype for stakeholders to review before we actually gather data sources and build dashboards. This workflow isn't really for one-off reports, but more for enterprise-wide dashboards that many people will use (internally) for sales reporting or client revenue, etc. A lot of these dashboards are emberrded directly into salesforce pages. Back to my design process - I will typically meet with stakeholders about business requests and sort of sketch out what the request is. I then refine that sketch into a wireframe (I use Axure RP) or, more likely, a high-fidelity prototype of what I think the dashboard should look like. We then go through a few rounds of discussions with stakeholders and developers to refine the prototype until we all agree it meets everyone's needs. The advantage of the high-fidelity prototype is that it looks real, so stakeholders really understand it (wireframes and their low-fidelity can sometimes be confusing to business leaders), also when I hand it over to the developers, they know exactly how to make the PBI dashboard. I also provide specs that include colors of all the elements, font sizes, pixel spacing, etc. It's a pretty good process. As I mentioned earlier, I use a prototyping tool called Axure RP, but there are many others. One key feature (of pretty much any of these tools) is the ability to design and build a library of UI elements in the prototyping tool that mimic the power BI elements. This makes it much quicker to create new dashboard designs.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @xhurit 

There are many prototype designing tools or apps you can try. For example:

Sketch — The digital design toolkit

Marvel - The design platform for digital products.

InVision | Digital product design, workflow & collaboration

Mockplus - Design, Prototype & Collaborate better and faster

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

likmalik
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

I think you can use UX/UI designer tool to prototype your report.

Tools like Figma, Adobe Xd, Sketch...

Hope it helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.