Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mstefancik
Advocate II
Advocate II

Too many values

Hi,

I am building simple column chart which represents sold items by stores. We have 171 stores. I supposed to get 171 columns to see sales of every single store. After creation there is yellow triangle with exclamation mark  in the upper left corner of the chart. After clicking on it I see this Message:

Error

Why do I get this error? I mean 171 is quite normaln as you have slider at the bottom of the chart. Yes I can filter stores by some category. But on the top level, ct wants to see all the stores as you can see in excel pivot table not saying you can do it in any other visualization tool such as Datawatch, Qlikview...

PowerBI should handle it.

Is there any limitation on the columns, chart can presents?

16 REPLIES 16
ronkochanowski
Frequent Visitor

I'd like to chime in on this topic as well.  For me it doesn't appear to be an issue with a visual, but with the data itself.  I have a a one-to-many join between a DateDimension table and HeadCounts table, as well as a Contributions table.  DateDimension contains columns for FiscalYear:

FiscalYear = CONCATENATE("FY-", IF(MONTH(DateDimension[DateKey])<=8,VALUE(FORMAT(DateDimension[DateKey], "YYYY")),VALUE(FORMAT(DateDimension[DateKey],"YYYY"))+1))

And FiscalMonth:

FiscalMonth = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE(),
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 1, "05-Jan",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 2, "06-Feb",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 3, "07-Mar",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 4, "08-Apr",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 5, "09-May",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 6, "10-Jun",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 7, "11-Jul",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 8, "12-Aug",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 9, "01-Sep",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 10, "02-Oct",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 11, "03-Nov",
    MONTH(DATEVALUE(DateDimension[DateKey])) = 12, "04-Dec")

At one point the error was indicating that PowerBI couldn't perform the function on varchar data types, so I added the DateValue function to the formula...to no avail.

Fiscal columns displaying blanksFiscal columns displaying blanks

Overall, there are over 800K records, but only approximately 1,000 that are not displaying the Fiscal info...the remaining rows display the info as desired.

Here's the error associated with the above table:

2017-12-14_16-12-53.png

Any positive input towards a solution is greatly appreciated!

Ron

getthedata

Bump bump

Hello Power BI team, can I get some clarification what this message really means?

Some people report that it is only an issue on the desktop tool and uploading report to PowerBI site resolves. However, that doesn't work for me.

Others as in this thread above suggest data should be transformed into groups in order for PowerBI to be able to present it.  Frankly this is not something that I expect is a requirement.  I experience the "Too many values" message with record sets that are not what would be considered "too big" on any other BI solution including Excel pivot tables, Power Pivot, etc.

I am using latest PowerBI desktop tool and a license free PowerBI with my Office365 E3 account.

What is really happening here?

* is it a Desktop tool limitation?

* is it something that happens in specific situations?

* is it a free PowerBI account limitation?

* is PowerBI just a limited capability BI solution?

* is this something that will be resolved or upgraded in future?

I really like what i see witih Power BI so far but this is a severe limitation for a modern BI solution.

Thanks.

Looking forward to your reply!!

Hi everyone. You're running into data point limits that exist to make sure performance isn't impacted. We're aware that there are problems with some sparse datasets, and are working to fix it. We plan to get to a point where you can load charts with many more datapoints, even millions in many cases. Stay tuned for updates in the new year where we'll start to ship improvements to this. Thanks for you patience!

WillT wrote on 12-22-2015:  "We're aware that there are problems with some sparse datasets, and are working to fix it."

It is now July 25, 2018, more than three years later, and I'm still running into this "Too many values" limitation.  Please fix it.

Hi, WillT

Is there any advance in that topic? I tried to use the gantt chart today (august-2017) and I am getting the same message (too many values). What I think it's impressive is that my data is not too big... I have something around 25k registries only...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm falling into this same problem too - and the big, big issue is that the data plotted is incorrect (incomplete). And it is way worse to plot incorrect data than no data at all...

In my case, it is a simple stacked graph. X-axis has about 20 categories, and legend has 85 values. Most of them only apply to one or two categories, and their size varies, so each category has about 4-5 significant legends and a bunch of less important ones. 

The graph renders, with the too many values warning... and renders wrong! What I am adding up is revenue, and quite some revenue is missing - the right-most categories don't show revenues!. That is a definite no-go.... it is increadibly wrong, and only a small warning sign is shown. That's a no-go for mass consumption of the reports....

It really is not important to have a big legends-entry (colors are only useful to differentiate categories, and hovering over them gives the category name, so that's ok). And grouping the categories to have less it not ideal, because it limites the usefulness of drilling down...

Please, PowerBI team, I hope you fix this soon! 

Thanks!

Any solution planned in near future? Still have the same problem. Thanks for answer.

Any solution to fix this issue in near future? Still have the same problem.

It's a chore but it happens even if you have some data too small to be rendered

dato1quantità
a1000000
b900000000
c1

Try put that on a pie and the yellow signal appears. But "too many values" is a misleading information. And i can be OK with not be able to see c's slice. I'd really like to be able to remove that warning

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would suggest, if possible, to pivot your data so that stores are in rows and your metrics are in columns. Then you should not run into this.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

What in a case, it is not possible or I do not want to?

I created 200 columns in a CSV file anded add all of the column to a table that I then switched to a column chart and clustered column chart. Never received a yellow warning indicator. Did you get this in Power BI Desktop or the service?

Latest book!:

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

171 Columns in a Column chart is not a problem at all - you should just have to scroll to the right to see all

Can you list all relevant columns you have in the table you use for the column chart?

Something like => Store#, Sales, Etc...  => And tell us which do you use to build the chart?

I actually get a similar message in a pie chart when few slices are simply too small compared to the rest to show their data labels!

I counted columns manually and it is exactly 121 from 171 columns.

chart.PNG

Yes I can order them ascending and then descending and see both outline values, but I want to figure out how to get the full picture.

All the caharts are created in PowerBI desktop version.

Can you post a picture of your chart fields and positions, what is your axis, etc. The definition portion of the chart. I'm not sure my test was the same as yours because the charts are different. I, literally, chose 200 columns individually to show up on my chart, which was waaaaayyyy painful...

Latest book!:

This is becoming a large problem as we roll out PowerBI.Com in my firm. 

This error is causing a trust issue with my users.  Using the same Tabular models, same data, same filters - they never got this error in SharePoint PowerView. 

Note my example.  The error says that "too many month-year" values...  But, it's filtered for 2015.  It can't possibly be too many months for one chart.  Data has been removed from this visual - it's essentialy lying at this point.  Though, oddly enough it's the legend-value that is the problem. 

I hope this is being fixed.  It's becoming a big issue for my users that are PowerView pros wanting to make the transition to PowerBI.com.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.