Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Willgart
Helper II
Helper II

Too many Values warnings, what are the limitations? and how to increse the maximum values supported?

Hi,

I can see some question in this forum around the too many values warning.

in my case I try to create a simple line chart with my days in the axis  and a group of store in the legend.

this is only 363 rows from the database. (as a combination of date + store group) (122 days only)

so what are the limitations? how to change this to support more data from the database?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The limit is not on the number of rows of source data that can be plotted. The limit is the number of distinct axis labels displayed. If you have a week field in your date dimension, try using that on the axis instead of the individual dates.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
PaulusD
Resolver II
Resolver II

I don't like saying this, but if your presentation is in ppt, you could consider visualizing this in another tool (the good old "can I get it into excel"...).

One thing i havn't experimented with, is using a python/R visual. Would that have the same constraints?

The problem is still the legend / axis labels.

plotting 80k addresses on a map should be fine without the axis label right?

yes @PaulusD the points do all populate when the Legend is fully off (i.e., not just not displayed, but the data field not utilised at all). But we do need categorisation of some sort and the Azure maps visual isn't quite there I think.

In terms of alternative tools, we have Power Maps in Excel which meets our needs. However, it is less convenient for users as it is much more fiddly to work with. We don't really have the business logic to invest in a GIS, so I think we are using the world's second best tool for everything (Excel) for this for now.

Hyphen

The problem appears to be around the maximum number of displayable colours for the legend.

If you open the colour picker, you can see a grid that is 10 across x 6 down: i.e. only 60 colours are available.

This explains why there are not enough colours to display 365 days, but 52 weeks is small enough to fit into the 60-colour scheme...

The only solution appears to be to somehow reduce the number of things you want to display; e.g. use a query (prior to the report) to collapse the smaller counts into a single "Misc" category.  "Smaller" being a relative term, in this case meaning "an arbitrary value that, when used, reduces your displayable categories to less than 60".  😉

I realize that this is a somewhat older topic, but after quite a search this sounds exactly like what i'm running into.

I require a different column for each value, but in my case I don't require each value to have a different colour.

Any thing come up in the meantime to tackle the colour limit restricting values?

Thanks!

hi all,

what's the latest and greatest on this topic? is there any other way to see more datapoints on the chart?

In my case i don't need different colors for them all. an option to not split the point in colors thus showing all would already be great.

thanks.

Bump.

I'm having the same issue as soon as I change the axis Type to "Categorical". If the axis Type is set to "Continous", all values are being displayed.

@ChristophEmrich  I think that even the continuous view will summarize to the amount of colors available.

When you hit continuous, are you seeing al your data for every time period? or are you then missing time periods?

I'm seeing all the data for every period. No constraints that I'm currently aware of.

PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

There is currently no way to increase the number of maximun items that can be displayed in a visual. I would image it's pretty hard to visualize over a 100 stores in a line chart. Is it possible for you to add a slicer to allow for visualizing smaller groups at a time? 

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

no filter possible.

I want to have more than 100 rows processed and display on my chart.

100 is a very ridiculous low limit.

The limit is not on the number of rows of source data that can be plotted. The limit is the number of distinct axis labels displayed. If you have a week field in your date dimension, try using that on the axis instead of the individual dates.

Thanks for explaining that.

I think this is also a limitation impacting Azure Maps - the legend has some kind of (low) maximum which then reduces what shows up. Your post helped me figure that out.

(Sadly, I think that Power Maps in Excel is still better than Azure Maps in Power BI!)

I have roughly 300 items in the x-axis of my stacked bar chart.  My x-axis labels are hidden, but I still absolutely want to see the data stack.  Due to this limitation, several of the bars do not show complete data.  Yes, the data plots when I filter the data down, but it's not a useful limit for a chart meant to display at the organizational level.  

Any solution either upping or removing this limit would be very helpful.  Thanks,

John

Has anyone an idea how to fix it?

Could you explain a little more? I'm facing the similar issue when building a chart for around 8,000 rows.

I'd like to visualize 80,000 addresses (coordinates) on a map, but the tool only allows a few addresses... what are the limitations?

Any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.