Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rick528
Frequent Visitor

Toggle Value Categories

Hi, theoretical question about toggling visuals.  Assume I have two maps.  On the first map, the bubbles are sized by (i) number of employees per location.  On the second map, the bubbles are sized by (ii) annual budget per location. Everything else is the exact same.   Is there a simple way to toggle between (i) and (ii) using the same map?  Or, do I need to provide two maps?  Trying to cut down number of visuals on a dashboard.

Coming from Excel and PowerPivot where this is very easy to do.  Have no idea how to do it in PBI without using switch.   

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

So no you are not missing anything.  Switch is pretty easy.

I wrote an article on another topic here, but the concept is the same as what you need. 

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/measures-on-rows-here-is-how-i-did-it/ 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

Hi Matt.  Thanks for the answer.   I figured it out and implemented.  It slowed the model down considerably.  Not sure why.  Strange becuase just three simple measures are switched ...

Anyway, it works, so will use it.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

What's wrong with using switch?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply. Nothing is wrong with switch. It's just that I haven't used it before and I don't mind diving in but wanted to make sure I'm not missing an obvious function.

So no you are not missing anything.  Switch is pretty easy.

I wrote an article on another topic here, but the concept is the same as what you need. 

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/measures-on-rows-here-is-how-i-did-it/ 

Hi Matt.  Thanks for the answer.   I figured it out and implemented.  It slowed the model down considerably.  Not sure why.  Strange becuase just three simple measures are switched ...

Anyway, it works, so will use it.  

My understanding is this is a known "problem".  When you use switch, you are really just using IF, and IF evaluates each option fully even though it only uses one of them.  So it should take 3 times longer with 3 options.  However the fact that this is perceptible probably means that there model is inefficient in some other way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.