Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GebauerAnalytic
Frequent Visitor

Toggle Month values into 3 Month Average

Greetings!

I have an entire dashboard set up with simple tables like this:

Company2019 Units2020 UnitsVar
Apple100200100
Bose200300100
Chiquita300400100

Controlled by a radio slicer of Sales Rep and a checkbox slicer of months, and feeding from a datatable like this:

CompanyProductUnitsOrder DateSales Rep
BoseApricot205/1/2019Adam
AppleBanana405/1/2019Bella
ChiquitaCantaloupe525/1/2019Cornelius
BoseCantaloupe305/1/2019Bella
AppleApricot116/1/2019Cornelius
ChiquitaBanana666/1/2019Adam

I have been tasked with creating a radio slicer to add to this that would offer three options: Month, Rolling 3 Month, Rolling 6 month. The existing slicers are already filtering by month and Sales Rep.

Currently, if I had January and February selected, the value in the report would represent January units plus February units. The Month radio button would allow this data to pass through unmodified.

The Rolling 3 month radio button should change that output into an average of last November units, last December units, and last January units PLUS an average of last December units, January units, and February units.

Likewise, if the Rolling 6 month radio button was selected, it would change a January and February selection on the checkbox slicer of months to: An average of last August, last September, last October, last November, last December, and January units PLUS an average of last September, last October, last November, last December, January, and February units.

How would I create such a radio slicer that would interact in the desired way with a month checkbox slicer in which one, two, or twelve months can be selected?

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You can create rolling measure using date calendar like this

Rolling 3 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],ENDOFMONTH(Sales[Sales Date]),-3,MONTH)) 
Rolling 3 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date Filer],MAX(Sales[Sales Date]),-3,MONTH))  

Rolling 6 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],ENDOFMONTH(Sales[Sales Date]),-6,MONTH)) 
Rolling 6 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date Filer],MAX(Sales[Sales Date]),-6,MONTH))  

Refer to this how to shift/toggle measures

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Slicer-MTD-QTD-YTD-to-filter-dates-using-the-slicer/td-p/50...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Create a disconnected table for your slicer. Then use a measure like this:

Measure to Show = 
  VAR __Selected = SELECTEDVALUE('SlicerTable'[Column])
RETURN
  SWITCH(__Selected,
    "3 Month",[3 Month Measure],
    "12 Months",[12 Month Measure],
    <etc.>
  )

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

All of my slicers are already set up as tables, but all are attached to something. By keeping this one isolated, it isn't making any alterations at all, let alone playing well with the other two slicers. Perhaps I need to provide more detail.

My data table has a many-to-one cross-directional relationship with my calendar table and my Sales Rep table (just a list of names). There are dozens of other moving parts that aren't relevant to my current question such that I can't just start unlinking tables willy-nilly. The month slicer feeds directly off the calendar table, and the Sales Rep slicer feeds directly off the Sales Rep table. The measures I'm using on the data table are as follows: 

Rolling 3 Month = VAR LastDate_ = LASTDATE(DataTable[ORDER DATE]) RETURN CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(VALUES('CalendarTable'[Monthnumber]), CALCULATE(SUM(DataTable[UNITS]))), FILTER(ALL('CalendarTable'), 'CalendarTable'[Date] <= LastDate_ && 'CalendarTable'[Date] > DATEADD (LastDate_, -3, MONTH)))

Rolling 6 Month = VAR LastDate_ = LASTDATE(DataTable[ORDER DATE]) RETURN CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(VALUES('CalendarTable'[Monthnumber]), CALCULATE(SUM(DataTable[UNITS]))), FILTER(ALL('CalendarTable'), 'CalendarTable'[Date] <= LastDate_ && 'CalendarTable'[Date] > DATEADD (LastDate_, -6, MONTH)))

Is it possible to get a drag-and-drop filter that will play nicely with my other two filters but also add filtration to tables of measures like:
2020 = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTable[UNITS]), FILTER(DataTable, YEAR(DataTable[ORDER DATE])=2020))    ?

hi  @GebauerAnalytic 

For your case,  you could refer to this blog:

Dynamically change the information within a visual via a slicer

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

While this touches on the category of what I need, it doesn't really get into how to dynamically change measures on a page or how to effectively overlap these filters without issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.