Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

arjunsk

To count the splitted column

Hi All,

I have splitted the string to multiple columns by Edit Query option. I just want to get count of column that has value.

See below example of table splitting.

2017-06-26 15_23_45-KPI April - Power BI Desktop.jpg

Can someone help on this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Agree with @Anonymous, but if his suggestion is not option, a new column with this formula would do the trick:

List.NonNullCount(Record.FieldValues(_))

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arjunsk,

I agree with pawelpo's point of view, you can add a column to store the count of list which split your cell text with particular separator.

For example:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Count Item", each List.Count(Text.Split([Column],",")))

`.PNG2.PNG

Reference:

Function Description
List.Count Returns the number of items in a list.
Text.Split Returns a list containing parts of a text value that are delimited by a separator text value.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arjunsk,

I agree with pawelpo's point of view, you can add a column to store the count of list which split your cell text with particular separator.

For example:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Count Item", each List.Count(Text.Split([Column],",")))

`.PNG2.PNG

Reference:

Function Description
List.Count Returns the number of items in a list.
Text.Split Returns a list containing parts of a text value that are delimited by a separator text value.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion, it's not the best idea to split the data into columns when you have multiple items in a single column. Why not split strings into rows? (this option is also available in Power BI Desktop transformations) Then you could perform a simple COUNT for each issue row to find the number of related issues.

Agree with @Anonymous, but if his suggestion is not option, a new column with this formula would do the trick:

List.NonNullCount(Record.FieldValues(_))

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.