Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Tips on Peformance - any to give

I need to give someone advice on improving performance on Power BI desktop.  This is what comes to mind, is there anything you would add to this?

1. Only using data that you need rather than bringing all the data in

2.  Applying appropriate data types

3. Cleaning the data as much as you can removing anything that is redundant or repeated.

4. If you are using an imported model, conforming the data as much as possible to get as much as compression as you can

5.  Having a minimum of 8gb memory, 64bit and i5 machine.

6. Clearing the cache in Power BI

7. If you pulling from SQL make sure you are using query folding.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Two other tips (mostly) unrelated to the relationship thing:

1. If you can do a CALCULATE(..., FILTER(...)) instead of a SUMX/AVERAGEX/WHATEVERX, do it. And God help you if you nest a SUMX inside another SUMX. Iterator functions can slow you down, so only use them when they are the only/best solution to a problem, not just when they're the first idea you had.
  2. This is more about performance in the desktop editor than end user performance. The number of measures seems to matter, but only at the very high end. Model complexity also matters and really complicated models tend to also have lots of measures so I haven't figured out quite where the tipping point is. But I do know that if you have a couple hundred measures in a single file you may have to wait a few minutes every time you want to edit or add a formula.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would add optimizing your data model relationships to prevent unnecessary cross-filtering.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

in other words leave it on single directon vs both direction?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Correct, if appropriate obviously.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Good topic 🙂

With regards to load-time, disabling background refresh and appropriate buffering will also improve performance significantly: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/12/05/power-query-power-bi-and-the-allow-data-preview-to-download-...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Also if you're working with large amounts of data, you can save precious waiting time during your design-process by using this technique: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2016/11/08/speed-powerbi-power-query-design-process/

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

those are great, thank you!

Leave it on single unless you need both. You can always use the CROSSFILTER function to force a "both" directionality. But also make sure that you only create active relationships where you have to, and try to avoid making relationships that require multi-table jumps to complete a measure.

Basically the more your relationship view looks like a simple printed circuitboard, and the less it looks like a large plate of spaghetti, the better.

Two other tips (mostly) unrelated to the relationship thing:

1. If you can do a CALCULATE(..., FILTER(...)) instead of a SUMX/AVERAGEX/WHATEVERX, do it. And God help you if you nest a SUMX inside another SUMX. Iterator functions can slow you down, so only use them when they are the only/best solution to a problem, not just when they're the first idea you had.
  2. This is more about performance in the desktop editor than end user performance. The number of measures seems to matter, but only at the very high end. Model complexity also matters and really complicated models tend to also have lots of measures so I haven't figured out quite where the tipping point is. But I do know that if you have a couple hundred measures in a single file you may have to wait a few minutes every time you want to edit or add a formula.

thanks those are great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.