Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

guillotine

Tips for New User from tableau Background?

Good day, fine people!

I've been using tableau going on four years now, and due to a company-wide announcement, we are now attempting to use Power BI.  I have a Power BI Pro license and am slowly getting around some training, but am having difficulty understanding the method of calculations, when and where to do them, and exactly what language DAX is- because tableau calculations seem to more closely represent Excel formulas (of which I'm extremely familiar) than to what Power BI does- which doesn't seem familiar at all.

I've managed to (finally) load/clean/prep multiple tables into one dataset for analysis and consumption- but, is anyone else here coming from a tableau background, and can they share tips or tricks to what helps make this easier to understand?  The light Microsoft training doesn't really explain how to write DAX, only what specific lines to type where, and the courses it directs me to after finishing another seem non-sequential.

If anyone has good ideas to keep in mind that make the transition easier, that'd be super awesome.

Thanks and have an awesome day!

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@guillotine , there are a few courses around Power BI in Udemy and video on You tube. Also Check video From Guyinacube and curbal.

I have posted couple of series, if that can help
Tutorial Series Dax Vs SQL Direct Query PBI Tips

RadCad is good - https://radacad.com/category/power-bi

You most of the search for the feature you know tableau, you will get a solution on power BI.

thank you for the YouTube tutorial links....

I'm really asking if anyone like me has had to switch from one to the other and has any tips to keep in mind and ease the transition.  I can create a database to work from, but I'm lost when it comes to DAX language and calculations, scripts, etc.  I could run an online search of a tutorial on how to do this or that particular thing, yes, but it's even more confusing to me as in why it's done this way.  For example, I help with logistics and need the workweek to start monday, end friday- not count any weekends into calculations.  Our business doesn't work at all on weekends, but to count a load being ready on friday to being assigned on Monday, should be one day, not three.  I've seen tutorials creating entire extra table sets and joining them, using DAX and all this, and I can't wrap my head around how much extra work it looks like we're doing when tableau and excel can basically define a workday and workweek much simpler.  Part of me is scared because I don't want to lose the knowledge I've gained in another program by overwriting it with this, and the other isn't quite making a connection to more easily transition.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.