Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Timezone difference causing error - cant display NOW()

All going well till I have to give a presentation.  Cat Tongue

I live in New Zealand and discovered today that the PowerBI website seems to be running on GMT time.

Everything on PowerBI Desktop program is showing today as Friday (which it is where I am) but when uploaded online the PowerBI website still thinks its yesterday.

I created two measures to check.

NOW() and TODAY() and reuploaded the PBIX file - works fine on the desktop but online it shows an error
time now and today missing.jpg
Fix This - just removes the tile
See details gives the error
time now and today error message.jpg

is there any way I can change the timezone on the PowerBI site? Sure its somewhere I just need to change the setting.
Thanks

ED

11 REPLIES 11
mattt
Frequent Visitor

I'm having a similar problem where my relative date filter won't pick up today when I do "in the last x days" filter (despite ticking the "include today" check box).  Very frustrating as it adds a manual element to my daily reporting.  

I'm also in New Zealand, so think this is a time zone error. 

PowerBI team? what's the story.   

leonardmurphy
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@reza_rad blogged some ideas for working around this issue here: http://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.
beedeagle
Frequent Visitor

hi team,

i have the same issue. the time display correctly, but it show the different time after i publish it on dashboard.

Hmm - something seems to have happened with this.

I have noticed that there is a local times link within the Settings of the Dataset when I upload something now.

2016-05-18 08_25_01-Power BI.png

My measures are still incorrect but I wonder what this means.

I have the same issue. 

@Greg_Deckler, would you please help us with this?

I have an issue with setting the right local time for our Power BI Service. I have the same measure to pull the current time. The Power BI desktop file pulls up 1/16/2017 4:36:02 PM which is the correct local time. However, the Power BI Service file pulls: 1/17/2017 12:36:02 AM, which is 8 hours ahead of the time. I am wondering where do I go about setting this local time on the Power BI Service side?

This issue results into not being able to pull up the overtime and data from yesterday starting from 4:00PM every day. It is pulling data for today (which is incomplete data)

Thanks

Andrew

Did this ever get resolved, as I have the same issue and haven't been able to 'google' a fix for this. 

leonardmurphy
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

I was intrigued, so I did the same thing: created 2 measures (NOW and TODAY) and uploaded them to PowerBI.com.

I'm in US Central Time, so it's 9am right now. In Power BI Desktop, it shows as 9am. On the website, NOW() resolved to 3pm (which is GMT).

Being in central time, I doubt I'd get the error you're seeing (since I am never a day ahead of GMT).

But I would definitely send a frowny face if I were you.

I hope your presentation went well despite this!

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

Cheers for the help everyone - I have lodged a frown with PowerBI. Hopefully this is something they can get on to quickly. Smiley Very Happy

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm not sure I follow this, it looks like from the error details that it has the right time and timezone, GMT+1300 (New Zealand Standard Time) and it shows Friday...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler
It did indeed show my timezone in the error but the entire report still thought it was yesterday.
At 12pm my time (12am GMT) everything sorted it self out as our days match now.

Is there anywhere in PowerBI online you have to set your timezone?

@elliotdixon, the only place that I know that you can set timezone is when you schedule your refresh.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.