Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

M-M-P
Helper III
Helper III

Timeslicer lack data set restrictions

Hi

I am puzzled to way Power BI allows me to type this into a DataTime slicer:

M-M-P_2-1600333053373.png

When my dataset has this size:

M-M-P_3-1600333064847.png

Why can you choose dates that are outside the data set?

Is there a way to get around this, so my users do not pick a date outside of the dataset?

I have tried a Before and After sicer:

M-M-P_4-1600333173340.png

But have the same problem here:

M-M-P_5-1600333209235.png

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @M-M-P ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?

Could you please provide more details or expected result about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. If the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhenbw-msft 
Many thanks for the reply and sorry for the very late reply.

Thanks for the test file. I have the same problem there:

M-M-P_0-1601561483236.png

I have come to the conclusion that what I want cannot be done.
A user will always be able to select or write a date outside the dataset.

Hi @M-M-P ,

We think the first date is from your date table and the second date is from your fact table. Is that right?

If you want to display the date range like the second slicer, you need to use the date of the Fact table, or you can change the date in the date table to match the date in the fact table.

Create a date table like this,

Date table =
CALENDAR ( MIN ( 'fact table'[date] ), MAX ( 'fact table'[date] ) )

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@M-M-P ,  Not very clear. But for Dateime. Create a date and use that in the slicer.

Date =[Datetime].date //date silcer //date table to join

Time =[datetime].time //time slicer //time table to join

@amitchandak 

Sorry if it was not clearly explained.

I use a date table made the way you sent a link to.
The date table is filtered down to the dates in the dataset.

But I can still select dates that are outside the dataset.

I can not find a scenario where it would make sense to choose a date long into the future.

Hi @M-M-P ,

Do you create the date slicer using the Date table and want the slicer show the date based on Fact table like this sample?

The fact table’s date is between 2020/1/1 and 2020/4/25. But the Date table date is between 2020/1/1 and 2020/12/31.

Do you want to display the 2020/1/1 and 2020/4/25 in Date slicer?

Timeslicer1.jpg

Timeslicer2.jpg

If yes, you need to create the Date slicer using the Date in fact table not the Date table.

Because the slicer will display the range of the minimum date and maximum date when put the date into Values.

If your date table is from year 1800 to year 3000, slicer will display 1800 to 3000.

If you want to see the correct date range, then you need to use the corresponding date column. In our sample, the corresponding date column is Date column in fact table.

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the table that we have shared?

Best regards,

BTW, pbix as attached.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.